Eye Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelanatty

Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry
Reaction score
One of my rabbit adopters out of the blue told me about this, and I had her send me a picture of it. This is an approximately 1 yr old Netherland Dwarf rabbit, and is an inside bunny who gets to run around one room.

Does anyone know what it could be?

13125_301946_070000000.jpg

There is definitely a spot, I told her to try to wipe it off and see if it was just a regular "eye boogy" like they sometimes get, but it didn't work. She is setting up a vet appointment, but it would be nice to have a clue before she gets there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

i have a 2 yr old dutch that has a spot in her eye like that and its been there since she opened her eyes, my friend who has raised rabbits for a long time said she thought it was a cataract..

The center of the eye ????
it isn't a shadow...
I also saw this once in a shelter rabbit ; it appeared to be a piece of lint but was deep in the eyeball.

from what I understand this could be a symptom of ecuniculi but usually only appears when the rabbit is very ill which was not the case at all of the shelter rabbit. The shelter rabbit appeared very healthy

Library articles
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14567&forum_id=10

it would help a lot if this rabbit could be seen by an animal opthalmologist.

this looks like what i'm dealing with right now with my mini rex, i'm trying to find a pic of it....

bales4bunnies4.jpg

this is the best pic i could find to show it, if you look at the brown and white rabbit in his right eye (eye facing the camera) it looks like glare, but its not.

i thought it was just a cateract, i took him to the vets last week and its a tumour from a pasturella infection. he had absesses before and basically the tumour came from blood poisioning. its blinded him, and my vet says that if it keeps growing (which it has been) she will have to remove his eye.... not sure if its the same thing but looks like it! good luck!

It is really hard to determine by pics like this whether these conditions are similar.

Best thing is to have eye conditions seen by an animal opthalmologist or a really rabbit saavy vet
I am so Sorry farmerchick :(that that gorgrous rabbit is having these kinds of issues but your vet sounds like he is monitoring it

Iam not familar with tumor growing right inside the eyeball although abscesses frequently develop behind the eyeball.

Wow that is an interesting hypothesis your vet has. I have not heard of that kind of thing happening, but it sounds possible. I would think it is more likely a fatty eye deposit, often related to EC. It is called corneal lipidosis. However I am not the expert in this situation, your vet is. I might want to ask the vet about the possibility of it being corneal lipidosis.

Latest posts

Back