Eye problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Bunny's name : Dino
Description (Breed, color, weight) : Lionhead mixed breed, agouti, 2.3kgs
Sex : Male, neutered

Medical History : He had a few occasions of abscess, the last one was on end of 2009

I just ran a routine physical check up on my bunnies when i found out that Dino's white part of the eyes have dark spots. The other bunnies showed no same symptom. He is active and looks healthy.

P1100019.jpg

(his left eye)

Other than dark spots on the white of his eyes, he always has a clear, jellied discharge, like in the photo below. But no tears, no watery eyes.

P1100020.jpg

(his right eye)

Am i just paranoid or this is a sign of eye problem?

From what I have found online, it could be a normal pigmentation of the sclera. Some people (and I assume rabbits as well) with darker skin pigmentation are more prone to getting gray spots like that on the eye. It could also be a thinning of the sclera itself, or melanoma (skin cancer--looks like dark moles on other parts of the body).

Since you have not seen it on him before, and he is middle-aged, I would check for abnormal moles in the rest of his body, and also have a vet check his eyes for the other possiblilities.

Latest posts

Back