Extremely Heavy Molt? (Bald Patch)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
Because of the time of year all my rabbits are currently molting. I recently picked up Bullet to check his stitches (he was just neutered last month) and noticed he had some pretty heavy molting around his back legs. It’s something I’m used to handling because Dune gets mats on his back legs if you don’t handle it with him. So I began plucking (I don’t know if there is a different term I should use here, but it is what it’s called with Angora rabbits. It basically means gently removing the fur with your hands. I’ve found it’s a very good technique to use on sensitive areas like the belly that can’t be brushed.) it gently out. What I did not expect was for it to make a bald spot.F858FF3B-A05F-46F5-870A-26A9C759D69A.jpeg6CB60C1E-DF2B-45B0-830D-201339D038CD.jpeg
I read a couple of the other threads about when people brush their rabbit and this happens, but from what I can find it’s usually either
1. Natural and happens without any brushing
or
2. Caused by the hair buster comb.

I guess my question is, should I just leave it alone? I usually try to brush my rabbits when they’re molting to try and prevent any possible risks of GI stasis or mats, but would brushing (or in this case plucking) make it worse?

I’ve creating small bald patches on my bun from plucking loose fur too sometimes. Usually the fur starts growing back in the bald area within the next day or two so I would just continue doing what you currently are but maybe just brush/pluck in a different area till you see the fur grow back a little. A few bald spots are way better than gi stasis in my opinion.

I’ve creating small bald patches on my bun from plucking loose fur too sometimes. Usually the fur starts growing back in the bald area within the next day or two so I would just continue doing what you currently are but maybe just brush/pluck in a different area till you see the fur grow back a little. A few bald spots are way better than gi stasis in my opinion.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back