Extreme Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Devon has been sheddinguncontrollably today. I brushed him heavily this morning, and tons ofhair came off. And tonight, I used a lint roller (yes, a lint roller)and one roll and the sheet had so much hair that none of the stickysurface was left. Then he sat on my bed. There was literally a whitelayer left over from where his butt was. In adition to heavy brushing,what can I do to prevent a stasis problem?

keep up with the brushing, you can veen get a mit/glove type thingythat you can pat your bunnie with and it gathers the loose fur.

Definately keep the hay up to Devon, amke it available at all times and a bit of pineapple or pumkin would be good too.

Goodluck and maybe invest in a dust buster for your floors to pick up all the fur LOL.

Seriously , goodluck.

Thanks, Shuu and Ariel. I actually just put amassive amount of hay into his cage. Also, I have petromalt, notnutrical, will that still work. And if so, should I give it now topre-empt any problems, or should I only give it if a problem doesdevelop?

Brush and pluck, brush and pluck.

Apollo's last molt was just like you are describing. I brushedhim at least six times a day and plucked in between brushings. I eventook a damp washcloth and used that to get the hair off.

Nutrical, tons and tons of hay, and pumpkin at least once a day preferably twice a day.

Remeber to really monitor poops.

Tina

Keep an eye on his eating too, and mke sure he'sdrinking well....you can also take a wet towel or wet your hands andrun it down him...that also helps to cut down on hair flying allover.....

Sometimes feed can cause this if I recall correctly...what are you feeding him?

I don't know much about the petromalt as we have different things here in oz, however I am sure that others will know.

And I agree with the others keep a watch on those poopies every day,just a quick check each day can be a good way to see what's going oninside those furry tummys.

Right now he is inbetween Oxbow bunny basics15/23 and oxbow bunny basics t. He is getting a mix of 3/4 of the T and1/4 of the 15/23.

I'd stay away from the petromalt. It'sthought that petroleum-based hairball remedies can actually makehairballs harder to pass for rabbits, as it prevents water from gettinginto the center to break it up.

Do you have a Zoom Groom? It pulls out hair by thetons. My rabbits hate it but it works so well. Youcan also wet your hands and then pet them.

And make sure he gets lots of exercise. It helps the bowels move.

I hope he stops molting soon. Loki's still molting a bit around his tail, and he started in September!

How is Devon doing? I've been think of you both.

I sure hope this weather makes up it's mind as this whole bunchis molting again.Who knew one bunny had so much hair, letalone six of them.:shock:

Tina

Thank you for your concern. It seems that Devonis doing fine. He is still shedding alot, but he is eating and poopingfine. I brushed him for like 45 minutes and gave him some pineapplelast night (which he loved!). The only unwanted side effect of all thisis that he doesn't like me too much for all of that brushing!Thankfully this is coming at a good time because I don't have schoolnext week, so I will have more time to brush him and monitor poops.

Once again, thank you for your concern and help,
Bunnydude

Devon is lucky to have such an awesomemom. I am so happy he is doing so well. Apollo would get so mad aboutme brushing him he would snatch the brush out of my hand and throw itacross the room.

I think it's so great you will be home with him next week. I amsure they are both going to be so happy to have home with them.

I will continue praying and sending good thoughts your way. Kiss them babies for me.

Tina

I heard that some people tried vacuuming theirbunnies before with a mini vacuum.Its veryeffective only some bunnies are terrified of the sound. Same goes witha hairdryer set to cool

Back