expired meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttymeg

Reaction score
I have a sick rabbit who has been through hell since about april. She first started with pasturella,which infected her leg and got cellulitis-pretty wickedly-its still in the process of healing. All this started technically back in january when i adopted a rabbit from a breeder I knew well as I had bought from her before. Sadly that rabbit i got from her died less than a month after me getting him.
Back to my sick bunny... She has white snot,sneezing losing weight. She is a front legged splayed bunny so shes unable to clean her face so im removing her bits of snot as i see them. What i am wondering is,I have 8 bottles of powdered penicillinG that expired last month. These bottles i have to add sterile water to them myself. I cant really take this rabbit to the vet right now unfortunately. I do have her on sulfatrim but shes been on it a week and theres been no improvement in her. Anyone here know if theres any risk in giving her the expired penG? I am very worried about pneumonia at this point.

Just 1 month? I wouldn't worry at all about using it (can't tell if it's the right stuff to use). There's plenty of safety margin, and in the majority expiring dates on drugs are more about marketing than safety.

not even a month 15 days its been expired. In my mind it would be safe,its not mixed up yet,just bottled up powder that expired end of june.

Medicines that are far expired are not typically dangerous or harmful, they just lose their full effectiveness. A few months past, even, would be fine and still effective.

Medicines that are far expired are not typically dangerous or harmful, they just lose their full effectiveness. A few months past, even, would be fine and still effective.
That's what I was thinking. I checked her temp this morning she was perfect at 104 eating all I give her with enthusiasm. She's actually eaten pretty well during her cellulitis and now pasturella. She was on the penG for the cellulitis but that stopped a few weeks ago and not long after she started having noisy breathing sounding like a duck at times and plenty of sneezing. She was getting 0.9ml of the penG by injection. So I will restart this back up tomorrow. Don't want to overload her on antibiotics.

Chloe saw the vet today. He also said the pen g being expired is perfectly fine. But Chloe does have bronchitis. So shes on the pen G and baytril now. Through all of this shes mostly kept her appetite up,however shes lost about 3/4 of a pound despite eating decently. I am hoping the weight loss is just because of the bronchitis.

Back