Excessive snorting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarTheBunny

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm back here again. I first came because of conjuctivitis now it might be snuffles. I think this is what caused runny eyes because he has been snorting since day 1 really. I thought it was behaviour but it seems it isn't because he just had a very scary snort fit. So now I know something is up and I might need to go to the vets AGAIN for treatment. I haven't even had Oscar for a full month and we already have problems. Maybe he caught snuffles off the other rabbits in the pet shop or what?

Please tell me what I should do.

Snuffles is a very broad time for a variety of pasteurella bacteria infections. If he seems to be snorting a lot, or has nasal discharge (check the inside of the front legs for where they wipe their nose, if it's damp he's had quite a bit of discharge) I would certainly see a vet. I believe most rabbits carry pasteurella, it just doesn't present itself until the rabbit is under stress or may have another illness which has weakened the immune system. Conjunctivitis can also be a symptom of pasteurella infection, so it's likely the same infection that hasn't gone away completely.

In terms of how he got it, it was likely in the pet shop as it's very contagious, even the stress of being in a pet shop or being brought to a new home can cause pasteurella to flare up and present with symptoms. What did the vet provide for the conjunctivitis? The antiobiotic baytril is commonly used to treat pasteurella infection.

My best advise is search high and low until you find an expert rabbit vet, if you have to drive out of town to go to one it pays in the long run. They are much better at diagnosing and treating with the proper medications. I had a rabbit with a squeaky nose that I just thought was a normal noise for her but after she was about 9 months old she started having a white discharge. I got her some antibiotics and it cleared up and never returned.

they have some nose drops(s) at when they have this so called snuffle(s)

I did this on both of my bun(s) ( along w/ antibiotics ), and they sure didnt like it ( is all I have to say)

but things cleared up within a week =0)

Well I checked with the vets and he said that he is fine and that the snorting was normal. I haven't seen any discharge nor have I felt his front paws to see if it is moist. I'm still not sure about it but we just had our health check and he got all clear. If he continues I might need to make noise about it because he has his neuter in less than two weeks and it is unacceptable to operate on any infected animal.

Latest posts

Back