Excessive Cage Biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndsilea

Reaction score
My sweet little lopear bunny, Marley, willnot stop biting her cage! It's driving me NUTS!!! I've had her for 2 years now and give her at least 30 minutes of attention a day (or more). She has plenty of new toys and lots of room to hop around. She's bitten on her cage a few times before in the past yearsbut this seems to be every day, all day, every night, all nightfor the last few weeks... I try to talk to her, pet her, give her more toys and food but nothing helps... And it seems to be very frequent during the night, when I'm trying to get rest. What can I do???

Thank you <3

-Lyndsi

Her cage may be too small. I'd recommend an xpen. If size isn't the problem, line it with cardboard or brown packing paper. And consider whether it could be a dental problem.

My tans chew on their cages all the time. They are basically saying let me out. I would give her excercise early mornIng and right before bed to help her sleep more. Encourage running around and excercise

Thank you SO much for the suggestions! She had a pen and I upgraded to a larger cage. She's got plenty of room to roam around. I will let her out to exercise morning and night. That is a wonderful idea! :) How could I check her teeth to make sure nothing is wrong?

Teeth probably aren't the problem & it'd really take a vet check to be sure, but I just offer some hay on first one & then the other side of Honey's mouth & make sure she doesn't use just one side when chewing.

my rabbit chews on his cage in the early mornings sometimes & it's so annoying lol!! He has plenty of exercise because he free-ranges in my room all day. I guess he's just trying to wake me up.
What I do is put a pillowcase up on the part of the cage he's chewing on and then in a week he'll forget about it and I can take the pillowcase down :)

Back