Excess cecils?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
ok so I took in around 15 lionheads from a lady who could not control their breeding her in basement. All the babies in the last month have been getting excess cecils that they are not eating. They are all over the cage and stuck to their bottom. I thought maybe it was coccidia so started them on Albon but that is not working. All the babies are around 8-10 weeks old and are only 2 pounds at the most. I don't know what do to, it smells really bad and they are getting dirty everyday because of it.
What can cause excess cecils in babies? I cant seem to find the answere

I would agree. My bunnies, especailly around that age, did the exact same thing. I wouldn't worry as long as you don't see any other changes in them. As mine got older, they outgrew it.

have a giant baby going on 5 months. He has the excess cecals as well. He's not on veggies yet. Just let him outgrow it? It should settle once he's on veggies right?

kmaben wrote:
have a giant baby going on 5 months. He has the excess cecals as well. He's not on veggies yet. Just let him outgrow it? It should settle once he's on veggies right?

Mine actually I noticed of that more when they did have veggies, grass, or over excess excitement/social stimulation. So yeah I personally think it just happends alot with the youngsters.

I am thinking it might be the pellets im feeding. I feed purina professional and I think it might be too rich for them. I am going to try and get sweet meadow pellets that are timothy based instead

My baby (he's about 3 months now) had the exact same problem when I brought him home. I took a fecal to the vet and he had coccidia and pinworms. I used sulpha to treat the coccidia and panacur to treat the pinworms. He is great now with only a tiny bit of his cecotrophs that he dosent eat :D

Back