excess caecotrophs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
I`ve read on another site:blushan: that excel the food i fed Belle maybe causing the extra caecotrophs i`ve been cutting back on veggies,don`t often give any fruit,pushing the hay,they have 2 egg cups of pellets a day and am sure George hogs most:tears2:.other foods mentioned were bunny basics and science selective?
Anyone have any views on the above please?:biggrin2:

I've read that too many pellets can cause excess cecotropes and they should be reduced while veggies and hay are increased. However, too many veggies (or certain kinds) can give certain bunnies tummy problems, so maybe cut back just a bit and give them things you know their tummies can handle.

Do you give any other treats? Like raisins? I find too much sugar is the most common cause of extra cecotropes in my bun, but you already said you rarely give fruit so I'm not sure if that would be the cause.

I'm not really sure how much 2 egg cups worth of pellets are - could you measure them out in cups?

They get 65g of excel adult rabbit which in my bread maker cups is 2/3 of a cup twice a day.She does have 2 craisins a day but these had not effected her as she was worst before she`d ever had craisins.

How big are your buns? That might be too many pellets for them. HRS guidelines say 1/4 cup per 6lbs body weight. I think I remember that one of your buns is pretty big, but the other is smaller. You may want to cut back (gradually) on the amount they're getting. This will also encourage them to eat more hay which is very healthy for them.

sbaxter wrote:
I`ve read on another site:blushan: that excel the food i fed Belle maybe causing the extra caecotrophs i`ve been cutting back on veggies,don`t often give any fruit,pushing the hay,they have 2 egg cups of pellets a day and am sure George hogs most:tears2:.other foods mentioned were bunny basics and science selective?
Anyone have any views on the above please?:biggrin2:
extra cecotropes,,sometimes they don,t eat em all,,,they even at times eat a few day poops./.their gi tract eco system is a very delicate balance of bacteria flora.//.here is a link that will better explain the mystery of rabbit poop http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop/html ...very educational..sincerely james waller:wave:the other kent ,,across the pond

angieluv wrote:
http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/RABBITPELLETS/pid2114/cid749/BURGESSEXCELRABBITADULT10KG.asp

Is this the pellet. ?

This pellet is low :?in protein and high in fiber and the only thing missing is what is in it.?
excell tastey nuggets with oregano,,we.ll i compared it with my purina rabbit chow,,,big difference,,,what ever sells i guess...there is a list of ingredients but they fall short of explaining all of it,,would i give my rabbit this stuff.//.no.//.high in fiber but which one--digestible or non digestible,,and oregano for stress/this will require study,,i might be able to use that stuff myself,,rrr,rr...sincerely james waller:wave:

Excel does seems to have that effect on some rabbits. Personally I prefer Supreme Science. It's not as widely stocked though, burgess is much better at marketing.

I would start by reducing the pellets. Pellets are very concentrated so a little goes a long way and these are much more likely than veg to be causing the issue. If you're feeding a good variety of greens then she'll need less pellets than the package states as she's be getting extra nutrition from them. I'd start with about an egg cup full per medium sized rabbit and monitor her weight and poop.

Is she producing a lot too many or just the occasional one? If it's a lot I would suggest cutting out everything accept hay for a few days then reintroduce things gradually keeping a note of what you feed so you can track what causes the issue.

Id say it was one load, meaning the bunch of grapes,if you know wot i mean? i can reduce the pellets but she`s a little under weight so am not so keen to do that?

Cecotropes are the type of poop your bun eats. A healthy bun will eat them as they produce them so you don't usually see them.

Why is Belle underweight? If she's underweight and producing excess poops then there could be an underlying issue. Many illnesses can cause stress and upset the digestion or a physical problem could be effecting her eating, for example teeth spurs. I would get her checked by a vet.

Sorry i should have said she "could weight more" the vets said she did not reguard her as underweight,but i think she is but i`m not that experienced and she`s paired to George who`s a big heavy monster:biggrin2: she has been checked twice by a vet in 2 months,and have been given clean bill of health except for litter training that is a problem but thats another thread And i think i`ll take her back re that and get her re weight

That sounds like a good plan. There could be something underlying that's sending her a bit out of balance. Is she spayed? If so then her litter training issue could be another clue eg bladder infection effects litter training, causes stress and that upsets her digestion and effects her weight. Just one possibility, hopefully the vet can give her a once over and rule anything like that out :)

I feed my rabbits excel adult rabbit pellets too. I feed them a bowl(standard rabbit bowl) between them. They never have cecotropes (well, they do - the ones they eat but never ones lying around).

At my petstore they sell tablets or liquid (not sure) if you bun has excess cecotrophs (never tried it though).

Maybe that is an infection your bun has :S

Hope it's all sorted soon :)

Latest posts

Back