Evil rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMCrabbitry

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my 4year old Dutch wants to pounce on my hand every time I try to pick her up. Brownie has been like this ever since I got her and I have always wondered why? When I was at the last rabbit show some people told me that you can spray 1tablespoon of vinegar and 1 cup of water mix it up and spray it in the rabbits face. I haven't tried it yet and I don't want to because in afraid it will make her meaner. Can anyone help me with her???

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

It sounds like shes territorial. Female rabbits, when unspayed, are territorial and will lunge, grunt and even bite.
If you're having to reach into her cage to get her, you may want to figure out a way to minimize that and let her out on her own. Wearing gloves may also be a good option.
Or getting her spayed, she might be a little too old but I'm not actually sure. Someone else might help you out more there.

My rabbit can also be very territorial, but its not all the time. AND she doesn't have a cage anymore, so her being really territorial has calmed down a lot.

Boy, I'm no expert, but spraying any animal in the face with vinegar seems really cruel. It's very acidic and would probably be really painful. Just thinking about the times I've sprayed orange juice in my eye and how terrible it felt.

I agree that spraying with vinegar isn't a good idea. There may not be a lot you can do as the behavior is likely due to hormones and is probably pretty ingrained at her age. Does can be moody and territorial, like Morgan mentioned. She's just protecting her area. You can try and change the behavior using a glove when you reach in so she doesn't get the desired reaction of your hand leaving her space, and maybe start using treats to help her reassociate you being in her space with good things. Just don't overdo the treats as you don't want to cause digestive upset.

This topic is more of a nutrition and behavior question, so I've gone ahead and moved your thread for you.

Last edited:
Sounds like a typical territorial female bunny to me. First off, if she's not already spayed, you may want to consider that; it helps SO much with those hormones that make them so protective.

Secondly, I'd try reaching into the cage a different way. I had a territorial doe for years who would bite really badly in the cage but the second she was out, she was perfect. I learned how to reach, put one hand on her head (submissive for a bunny) and pick her up. Once I gently put my hand on her head she was fine.

Thirdly , definitely not for the vinegar. The bunny really isn't going to get it; if anything, she will only become more aggressive and I think that could really sting her eyes.

I've honestly had problems with some rabbits who lunge, bite, and attack for no apparent reason.Being a former breeder, I found that it was not always caused by environment. Rabbits would be born randomly,perhaps 1 in 20, with an extremely aggressive temperament. I tried working with rabbits like this. My first bunny was that way. I gave her lots of love and respectful handling, but over the years she never changed. Even spaying/neutering doesn't fix it. My theory on it is that rabbits simply haven't been domesticated as long as other animals, and once in a while, they have unpleasant genetic temperaments.

Good luck working with her though.

The vinegar won't help. Punishing her or showing any kind of retaliation will most likely make her fight you.

Back