Everyone has an opinion about what I eat.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
:soapbox

So why does everyone have to have an opinion about what I eat? Just because I had gastric bypass does not mean I need advice from everyone about what to eat. I have lost 125 pounds and changed my life style drastically. Yet everyone has their weight loss story and feels it is ok to criticise what I eat!

This comes up because of the rabbits stealing a protein bar out of my purse. I was worried so I mentioned it to a toxicologist I work with before the vet was open to call. Another one walked in and she started to tell me how I shouldn't be eating the protein bars because they will make me gain weight, I need to be eating lots of vegetables.

WTF!?! :X

Coincidentally, since my digestive system is altered I have a hard time eating vegetables and if I eat the wrong ones they make me puke because I can't digest them anymore and they just lay in my stomach pouch. I know what my sysem can take thank you very much!

I know she's just trying to help, but I carry the bars as "insurance". I can not skip a meal because it makes me feel like crap. I have the bars as a meal replacement if I am out since it is 20g protein and 2g sugar, far better than fast food! My nutritionist has gone over my food logs and is fine with it. She agrees that sometimes life puts people in these kinds of situations and this is a good choice.

Then she starts in on exercise. She is pressuring me to go to the zumba class here at work. I explained that I'm not comfortable exercising in front of co-workers and I go to a local gym after work. She still pressured me to go to the class and how important exercise is. Through the surgery program I have an exercise coach who is pleased with my routein and my biological indicators have improved drastically. :banghead

My fibro is flaring and I have way too much to do so my patience is short, I'm sure that is why it is bothering me so much today, but really. Why do people feel this need? Leave me the freak alone! If my surgeon, general doctor, nutritionist, exercise coach, weight watcher's leader, and shrink are ALL very pleased with my progress and what I am doing, then LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tantrum:

Thank you for letting me get that out. :rant:

you'd think people could just look at how much weight you've lost and assume that you know WTF you're doing, but apparently that's asking too much of some folks >.>

protein bar >>> fast food. I'm the same way - I often don't realize I'm hungry until my stomach starts REALLY growling and I'll get nauseous if I don't eat something really soon. if I let that happen, it'll lead to a headache soon enough. skipping meals makes your metabolism drop anyway, so there's definitely something to be said for keeping the healthiest non-perishable snack you can in your purse just in case you need something to eat.

if people give you crap, just flip them off and go about your day, lol - life's too short to have to put up with other people's misinformed opinions.

Awww Brandy! I'm sorry you have to go through this! This is such crap. But everyone thinks they know what is right for everyone else.
I'm sure they think they're trying to help you, but you should just tell them no, you have a good routine that you're sticking to and you don't want to add anything else into it.

And sometimes people are just A-holes and they want to control everything in everyone's lives. My FIL is that way, if you don't do something his way it causes a huge issue.

I feel like a protein bar would be better than no food or chicken nuggets or something. I sometimes forget to eat for a whole day or so and I get really ill and unpleasant to be around. Then sometimes I get shaky and pale, so I agree that a protein bar is better than any of those things.

Obviously, you're doing a great job at your weight loss! You know that you've done so well. It has to be such a challenge to change your lifestyle like that, but you did it and such a great job! Don't let what people say get to you because you're changing your life for the better and doing a swell job at it.
People are just rude!

You may have to get a t-shirt that says I traded the rabbits and they got the carrots. People in general always want to put their 2 cents worth in. Like any one else with an eating problem you know from experience what will work for your body. I agree tell them to mind their own business. As for the zumba classes, I too would not feel comfortable exercising in from of my co workers. You have a routine and diet that works for you, just stick with it you are doing FANTASTIC!!

I wonder if those types of people honestly think they are being helpful...or maybe they are really just "know-it-alls" and think they know what's best for everyone. CLEARLY the fact that you lost 125 pounds and are healthy means you're doing something right!

I'm sure the appropriate response to someone like that is "well thank you for your input, but I think I have things under control" but what I would do is give them a nice upper cut to the throat ;)

I don't know why people believe it's ok to give their opinions freely when their opinion is not asked for. It doesn't matter what you are eating or why. This woman needs to learn some boundaries. :X

Yeah seriously I hate how everyone knows whats best for everyone else... Even if you were to feel comfortable working out in front of coworkers what if you hated Zumba?

Blah I went to dinner with my brother sister and mother earlier and they all laughed at me for not eating dairy products since they think it's all in my head that it makes my skin break out... Well all I have to say is good for you for taking your health into your own hands and making such tremendous process as well as putting up with that!! As I as leaving I had to tell my brothers fiancé to silently kill him in his sleep LOL....

I firmly believe what my great aunt used to always say: "everyone's body is different and reacts differently to different foods" (or words to that effect).

Everyone IS different, so just because something works for me, doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

So I agree that people need to mind their own business.

Brandy, you've accomplished what many people wish they could do. Take (great) comfort in what you've done!

Thank you everyone! It makes me feel better to know I wasn't off my rocker being irritated. I think she really was trying to help, but people just don't understand how the altered anatomy really changes the rules. I'm very greatful that my doctor has such a great team of experts and takes the education so seriously. I KNOW I am doing what is best for my body and what needs to be done. Heck, I went through 6 months of classes and 2 written tests before I was cleared for the procedure!

I used to have a dairy allergy too, it made me get rashes and would trigger asthma attacks, it is not in your head! Luckily after surgery I can eat dairy now. Yogert and cheese are on the menu daily. Regular milk has more lactose and makes me toot, so I stick to soy milk for drinking. :)

Remember that "the paving stones on the way to Hades are good intentions". Some feel the need to share their "expertise" even though they know next to nothing. Since you are certainly under a doctor's care, since I doubt you did the surgery yourself, that should be enough for most people. I'd preface any rebuttals with "my doctor says" or just tell them "I don't want to" and would you please drop it. Good to get it off your chest, too.

Back