ever growing teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mini rex named Minky and he has a problem with histeeth. His teeth keep growing and I don't know what todo. I tried putting all kinds of wood and things to chew on,but he never does. I take him to the vet and the vet trimsthem and says that I just need to trim them myself. It looksso painful when he does it that it is not an option for me.Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can keep his teeth shortwithout trimming?

Hi Hoppy

Welcome to the Forum !!!!

I know exactly what you mean. One of my girls has to have her back teeth done every now and then.

With some rabbits, this is a slight gene defect (someone correct me ifI am wrong). With most buns, with toys to chew on etc.. they have noproblems.

You can trim the teeth yourself, but I prefer to take mine to the vets, as she has to have gas, as hers are the back ones.

Some have the problem teeth taken out, but my vet says thatwith Loopy, she prefers to leave them in and just really trimthem down every so often.

You don't have to do them yourself if you don't want to. Ifyou vet is not happy to keep doing this for you, then find one thatwill.

There is also a got link for new rabbit owners. There is information onrabbits teeth there. I suggest you have a read through. It make a goodread.

Here is the link for it

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=7329&forum_id=1

I hope I have been of some help to you. We love to see pichere, so if you have any of your bun, we would love to see them.

Hope you have a great time with us here.

-Zee

I don't have much of a problem with Bindy and her teeth, she doesn't chew much wood either (even though she has plenty).

I get our vet to check her teeth and they are only too happy to do thewhole teeth thing, maybe you should find a vet in your area who will dothem for you rather than doing them your self if you feel worried oruncomfortable about it.

I'm not sure how this would go but have you tried wicker instead of wood??? Maybe your bunny might like that? Just an idea.

As the rabbit ages, the nerves extend furtherdown the tooth and are more likely to cause pain whentrimming. It's not unusual for the tooth to split all the waydown to the nerve when you try to cut it.

Best option that is commonly used -- have those incisors removed. The rabbit can eat fine without them.

Pam

Back