Euthanasia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm im sorry my message was garbled, someone edited it making it hard to understand.
What I said was a smart knock to the back of the skull. And as long as you put some zip into it, the death should be painless.

Personally, I don't think I would do dry ice. I have a friend that has been in this situation before as well, and she is also a nurse. What she told meis that with carbon monoxide poisoning, humans that have survived it it told of feeling very sick, horrible headaches, and things like that. I don't know anything about the OTC sedatives you were talking about, but mabye you could call/go into your vet's office and ask them if it would work? I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your vet, but mine knows my situation and would do his best to help.

polly wrote:
I know at one of our shows there was a stunning device I also know of someone who got them and she said its brilliant death is instant and no twitching.

The rabbit isnt instantly dead however the rabbit feels nothing because it is immediatly put into a state of "numbness" then the electric shock is kept for another second or two and that is what kills them. Over all, if it works its instant, but like electric shocking with any animal it dosent always work.

gentle giants wrote:
Personally, I don't think I would do dry ice. I have a friend that has been in this situation before as well, and she is also a nurse. What she told me is that with carbon monoxide poisoning, humans that have survived it it told of feeling very sick, horrible headaches, and things like that. I don't know anything about the OTC sedatives you were talking about, but mabye you could call/go into your vet's office and ask them if it would work? I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your vet, but mine knows my situation and would do his best to help.
Dry ice is Carbon DIOXIDE (CO2) not Carbon MONIXIDE (CO) ;) Carbon Dioxide (CO2), if done right just gives a sense of drowsyness, ever been that tired that you literally cant keep your eyes open? thats kinda how it feels. ;). My friend had quite the shock when he passed out from CO2 - he used CO2 cannisters but didnt put an oxygen hole in the top, opened the tub and almost instantly passed out from the build up. Lol.

Ok... I must have been getting that confused with another method I have heard of people trying, which is piping car exhaust into a bucket or small container.

For the record, carbon monoxide only makes you feel sick if you live through it. My mother's family all suffered from this poisoning when a furnace malfunctioned in her house as a child. She said they were all just sleepy and achy and had no energy from the gas. When they found the leak and were then out of the house is when they got sick from it.

I'd never recommend piping car exhaust into a bucket though. Even people who commit suicide don't breathe right from the exhaust pipe. The concentration at that level has to be much higher than if you let it fill your car or your garage. I've also read stories of people trying to kill pets this way and it turning ugly (probably due to the high concentration).

gentle giants wrote:
Ok... I must have been getting that confused with another method I have heard of people trying, which is piping car exhaust into a bucket or small container.
That method is plain disgusting. It is usually used to kill animals for taxidermy as it leaves the fur and skin clean, un cut and all bones intact, and is cheaper then CO2.

Any method where an animal suffers is disgusting, but most people (including me, until now) would think that would be humane, because I know that I have always heard that they would just go to sleep. I had read that as a method of suicide, that is a painless way to go.

People who commit suicide that way either leave their car running in a garage and succumb to the fumes when the garage is filled with the gas, or they pipe it into the car to make it happen faster. I can't imagine someone would suck it directly from the hose as the concentration would be very high. I'd think it would make you sick before it made you "go to sleep."

Latest posts

Back