Euthanasia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
Its inevitable when you breed and raise rabbits. Stuff happens, injuries, sickness, the unthinkable. When veterinary care isn't going to help or isn't an option, Its something we all must be prepared for.

Thankfully, I haven't had to put a rabbit down since the incident with Bubba. When I lived at home I always had access to my Dad's .22. I figured it was quick, easy, and painless for all involved. And after what happened with Matt and Bubba, I wouldn't ask him to do that again.

A friend of mine has Hollands displaying symptoms of wry neck. Sadly even after veterinary treatment, at this point we have to consider the health of the whole herd, not just one.

What I wanted to pick your brains about was the idea of an at home lethal injection as a means of euthanasia. The injection that is given at a vet is actually an overdose of a sedative, causing the slowing and eventual ceasing of the respiration and pulse. The animal in a sense does indeed ''go to sleep'', and just peacefully drifts off. But with a vet visit being $40, and an emergency vet visit being $60, and the injection itself being another $40.... it isn't always an affordable option, especially on a large scale like this. Now most feed stores do carry tranquilizers for cattle and horses as an injectable. I'm sure even half of the dosage for a large animal would be more than enough and would offer an at home solution. However what worries me is the idea of it not working as planned, and I wouldn't just ''try it'' for kicks or tosee if it worked. I've read horror stories from an inside look at euthanasia in humane societies...describing the process as ''the animals dont just 'go to sleep', some convulse, vomit, and shake.' " This is not hte peaceful end I have in mind.

So anyone's ideas on the matter would be helpful. If you've done something like this before or perhaps have some veterinary education or know someone that does, if maybe we can all poll our vets on the matter, it would help my friend now and myself int he future and for the rest of the breeders on here, it may just help our peace of mind.

-JAK

There was something wrong with one of my rabbits, and he was beyond help, so my dad said the best thing to do would be put him out of his misery, my dad wouldnt let an animal suffer, i dont know how he did it, but i know for a fact it was quick and painless

I'm sorry you have to make this decision. Unfortunately I don't know anything about sedatives.

I don't suppose you know anyone who kills their own meat rabbits? Depending on how they do it that might be a viable option. My husband grew up raising rabbits for meat and 4H, and his family did a technique that quickly broke the rabbit's neck. He said if they reacted in pain at all then you did something wrong because it should be so fast the rabbit doesn't know what's happening.

That is called cervical dislocation. Yes, it should be quick and painless... It is considered a viable method of euthanasia by the American Veterinary Medical Assoc. But it has to be done right...

yeah i'm just trying to avoid the ''hands on approach''. I'm asking about injectables and seeing if anyone has knowledge on that particular method.

I doubt injectables are used on meat rabbits, a lot of stuff like that says ''not to be used on animals intended for food''.

There are some tutorials on Youtube for Cervical Dislocation. It's not for the faint of heart but it's supposedly the most humane method. It you can get your hands on a firearm I've heard a shot between the ears through the back of the head is also humane.

I'm sorry you have to make this decision.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
http://jubileeacres.net/euthanasia.html

The dry ice method is a good way- The rabbit just drifts off and fall asleep basically. It is by far the most humane cheap way of doing it.

Hope I helped.

EDIT: It's listed as CO2 asphyxiation. I don't know anything about injectables but this should be nearly or just as sufficient.
You can also rent CO2 canisters that would work for this. Put the animals into a small container and pump the co2 in. They will fall alseep and eventually die. Its the same thing that happens when your furnance malfunctions and people die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

You have talked to a vet about getting a reduced rate for putting them all down?

Sorry as a chemist I couldn't let this slide: carbon monoxide is CO and carbon dioxide is CO2. Different chemicals with different effects, but both listed in the guide Pamnock posted, which I think will be your best reference.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
http://jubileeacres.net/euthanasia.html

The dry ice method is a good way- The rabbit just drifts off and fall asleep basically. It is by far the most humane cheap way of doing it.

Hope I helped.

EDIT: It's listed as CO2 asphyxiation. I don't know anything about injectables but this should be nearly or just as sufficient.
If you are killing few (ie. 5 or less at a time) rabbits then I dont suggest the dry ice method. It can be very stressful and agonizing for the rabbits. For CO2 the only humane way is to SLOWLY let the co2 in, the rabbit shouldnt be drowsy within 5 seconds of the CO2 being put into the box, if they are it is too high and you will suffocate them. It should take about 7 seconds for them to go drowsy, 14 seconds for them to "go to sleep", then you can let the CO2 in quicker (another thing, you HAVE to make sure there is a hole and oxygen pipe in the top of the box) until they die.
And naturestee is right about the pain thing but if you did go for this option be warned they do flinch and kick after being killed, it is best to leave them on a cool surface until this passes. But it is by far the easiest, most humane and quickest.

I used to use dry ice on the recommendation of my 4-H leader, but have since learned through my chicken community that it's a no-no for humane euthanization.

minirexmama wrote:
I used to use dry ice on the recommendation of my 4-H leader, but have since learned through my chicken community that it's a no-no for humane euthanization.
It can be humane, but it takes so much time, work and chance that it isnt worth it and CO2 cannisters are better. :)

I honestly find the most humane way for my 4 lb rabbits is a hard rap to the back of the They usually just collapse and go into their nerve twitches, death is instant as long as you dont it halfway..

flexedHollands wrote:
I honestly find the most humane way for my 4 lb rabbits is a hard rap to the back of the They usually just collapse and go into their nerve twitches, death is instant as long as you dont it halfway..
I guess you mean to the back of the neck??
That is all well and good, but its really chance whether it will work or not, if it does work properly then its ok, but if it doesn't its very painful.

my dad snaped some injured kittens in my street. i was just a snap of the neck. it was not pain full.
but would not use it....

I know at one of our shows there was a stunning device I also know of someone who got them and she said its brilliant death is instant and no twitching.

Back