Essential Oils

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
Hello! I just noticed a few ants in my room so i just know more will probably be here in spring
Are there any essential oils i can put in a diffuser that repel insects but are safe for rabbits? any help would be appreciated :)

I know lemongrass has insect-repellant qualities, and here in the southern US, it a major ingredient in a best-selling insect repellant called No Natz. Not a plug, just used the heck out of it in the Army in Georgia. It was the only thing that worked to keep the no-see-ums away, chemical or otherwise.

Lemongrass, like most things, is safe for rabbits in limited quantities. I'm not sure about them inhaling essential oils from a diffuser, but my gut would say its probably your safest option for repelling insects with a bun around!

I know lemongrass has insect-repellant qualities, and here in the southern US, it a major ingredient in a best-selling insect repellant called No Natz. Not a plug, just used the heck out of it in the Army in Georgia. It was the only thing that worked to keep the no-see-ums away, chemical or otherwise.

Lemongrass, like most things, is safe for rabbits in limited quantities. I'm not sure about them inhaling essential oils from a diffuser, but my gut would say its probably your safest option for repelling insects with a bun around!
thank you, i'll look into it :) i may just get a spray of it if that's safer

There was a topic about essential oils recently:

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/essential-oil-diffusers-ok.101009/
I think stuff that repells mosquitoes and such is something different than what works for ants. When you put that stuff in the air 99.9% will not be where the ants are, putting it where they pop up might be more efficient if you want to cover up their scent trails.

I reckon the name "essential oils" alone put's me somewhat off ;), there's nothing essential about it. If it works for you, well, ok, to me things like that are pretty much just more air pollution.

I tend to hear about diatomaceous earth being recommended the most for insect repellent around rabbits. It is a naturally occurring substance that does not run the risk of inflaming the respiratory system as essential oils can.

Back