escapees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
This is my first litter ever, so I lack experience on these. Rascal, Hooligan, and Imp have started to jump out of the nesting box. Should I block the sides of the cage to keep them from slipping out? Should I remove the nesting box?

Bonus question: When should I start grooming the lovelies?

I can't answer about the grooming, but since they're almost 3 weeks old then there's no reason why they can't come out of the nestbox and investigate the area. They should start nibbling on Mom's pellets and hay by now anyway. Make sure they're in a secure area where they can't squeeze between the wires and escape, or up high where they could fall. It's up to you whether to take the nestbox out. If they're spending more time out than in, then take it out. You don't want it in there so long that they start using it for a litterbox. You could also turn it on it's side. Mom can still jump on top of the nestbox if the kits are being pushy about wanting to nurse and she isn't in the mood. :biggrin2:

If they can slip through the wires in their cage then yes sides need to be added. I would assume you can start grooming whenever you like. Grooming at this age might just be using a soft brush and getting them used to the routine but mainly making sure they dont have poopy butts.

Back