Ernie is losing weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertNErnie

Reaction score
So for those of you who don't know I have 2 rabbits apparently from the same litter both boys, both neutered, N dwarf x Lionhead.
So for the past couple of weeks I have noticed that Ernie really dosn't seem to be growing much and is actually losing weight, Bert was and still is the bigger of the two.
Ernie is eating, pooping and peeing like normal however he is looking rather skinny and I just don't know what to do, I know your not supposed to feed Alfalfa after 6 months but I don't even think they had it at all with the previous owners as they didn't really care for them much.
So I don't really know what I'm asking really but I mean surely it's not good for Ernie to be as small and what can I do to much him gain a little weight?

Try some old fashioned rolled oats/oat meal. Add a bit to his food daily.

I have tried that but I'm not sure it's working or i just don't know how much to give I have been giving 10 grams daily measured out so as not to upset his stomach, he does like them though, he digs through his food to get them

I would get Ernie some Alfalfa. Alfalfa was what put weight on Kreacher after he lost weight with the bout of ear mites. Had a slight head tilt and spins real bad. After the Ivermectin worked, he really needed some calories put on him. I gave him Alfalfa. Best boost for him.

Since Bert lives with Ernie, can you give Ernie some "alone time" with the Alfalfa, since Bert doesn't have a weight issue.

Also suggestion, which seems to boost my boys appetites, is wheat grass. I seems after the wheat grass, all my boys will go and eat hay or pellets. The Wheat Grass really stimulates their appetites.

Wishing the best for your Ernie.

k :)

I might try some Alfalfa but how much do I give? Yes it's possible for him to have some alone time to eat it perhaps maybe if I do this he will get maximum grub time

BertNErnie wrote:
I might try some Alfalfa but how much do I give? Yes it's possible for him to have some alone time to eat it perhaps maybe if I do this he will get maximum grub time
Give him a handful of alfalfa during his "alone time". See how much he eats. Let him eat as much as he wants right now. You can always wean him off once he reaches the weight you think he should be at. You know your rabbit.

Also they have Alfalfa bars here in the United States. I would give Kreacher one bar and he would finish it in one sitting. Those alfalfa bars also are high in calories. If you find that, you could Ernie one during his "alone time".

K:)

Even if they're siblings, mixed breeds can often have litter mates that have a different combination of genes & so can be of different sizes. Do Ernie's ribs seem to have less fat on them than do Bert's. If not, I wouldn't do any extra feeding. If so, yes. A little carrot piece for awhile wouldn't hurt.

If Ernie's bones (spine, ribs) protrude out and appear to be sharp, he may be underweight. If he is eating, pooping, and drinking normally, you may want to double-check if there is a problem on why he is losing so much weight.

If Ernie is underweight, then I would follow the suggestions from Bunnylova4eva and ZRabbits with the alfalfa and angel mush.

Otherwise, as LakeCondo said, the occasional treat is alright.

Do they live together? Is it possible that Bert is hogging all the food? Watch them while they eat their pellets and veggies and see if Ernie is getting his fair share.

If he feels bony, as opposed to just being smaller than his brother, I'd have a vet checkup done. Rabbits don't noticeably lose weight in a short period of time if they are healthy.

well to me he looks and feels alot smaller I mean I dunno if it's the fur because Bert is fluffier, I have observed them and Ernie is usually the first one to the food and he loves his grub.
But to me he looks abit boney I will try to get a photo of him later to show the difference between their sizes.

Well I couldn't get a photo in the end as he wouldn't sit still.
I think I will keep a close eye and schedule a vet visit it might be nothing but I want to make sure.

BertNErnie wrote:
Well I couldn't get a photo in the end as he wouldn't sit still.
I think I will keep a close eye and schedule a vet visit it might be nothing but I want to make sure.
I'd go see the Vet. Like you said it could be nothing. But it will give you peace of mind about Ernie. Mixed or purebred, bunny litter mates can be different in built, size as well as color.

Let us know how it goes. Hoping it's absolutely nothing wrong with Ernie that a few sweet treats can't fix.

K :)

Latest posts

Back