English Lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropo

Reaction score
Hello! I'm still studying up on the rabbit showing and breeding thing. I've shown poultry for some time though.

I'm trying to find out:

1. I know there is an SOP, going to be getting that ASAP so I can learn exactly what I need to look for.
2. On an English Lop, are bigger ears "better"?
3. I plan on purchasing a pair from the same breeder, once I find one that I'm happy and comfortable with. Is this a wise decision? I know in poultry that there are different "lines". Some lines mesh well, others do not and will throw awful birds that don't belong anywhere in a show room.
4. Does anyone know of any English Lop breeders in the Central PA area?

5. COLORS.
I am at a loss on all genetics here. One breeder I've been emailing has been a huge help! I'm used to the poultry area. You breed a black to a blue and you'll get a black or blue bird. I'm reading that if you have a black rabbit and a blue rabbit bred together, you can get several different color combinations?

I LOVE the Lynx color. How does one breed for this color? What would one need to continue getting showable rabbits from a pairing? I would only be breeding 1 litter a year and choose 1 rabbit from each litter. Selling or processing the others.

Thank you for any help!

Sorry - Missed this post. There are a few articles online on English Lops - You can google them for more info.

The ears are worth slightly less than the body itself. Assessing exclusively on the ears is to be avoided - overall balance of the animal is the primary consideration.

I do advise starting out by purchasing from the same line.

True genetic Lynx are very uncommon in this breed. With the combination of color and markings being a mere 4 points, I'd buy quality animals with good bodies and the ear length to balance.

You can look up breeders on the lop club site and see how well those breeders are doing on the show circuit. Brock Meanor PA and Lauren Morrill NJ have nice stock.

I have a breedable pair of English Lops from a well known person in South East Texas. There seem to be very few that raise the English, I'm hoping to meet others at an upcoming show. Here is a pic of my then junior doe taken early last spring.

EnglishLopDoe.jpg

There's the PA Farm Show coming up this week. While breeders can't sell on the show floor, they can sell in the parking lot. And you can be assured there will be lots of business cards. There's also the PaSRBA Convention, being held in Lebanon. That's not until February.

There are lop breeders listed on the LRCA's website. It tells you want lops they breed and gives you contact information.

Hope this helps! And if you find any French Lop does and a buck for sale, let me know. They're hard to find in this area, too.

Latest posts

Back