Emmalou's questions on kindling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my two girls are due tomorrow- they're not nesting- and how do i know i have the right nesting box size?

Can you give us a bit more information? Type of doe? Age? Was the buck the same breed?

(I will answer your questions but I wanted to be able to share more information if it was needed).

If I remember right - the nestbox should be 2" bigger than your doe lengthwise and widthwise...

So let's say your doe is 8" long and 3" wide - you would want a nestboxthat is 10" long and 5" wide (I just pulled numbers out of the air forthat - I can't think of a breed with those dimensions..).

Your doe should be given a nestbox around day 28 of her pregnancy andalso start giving her 1 Tums per day for the calcium in it so shedoesn't have a seizure or something from calcium deficiency.

If you go to this thread:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

You will see this information (which gives better dimensions - I justgave the 2" addition in case you're making your ownnestboxes...... :

Provide a Nest Box for her on the 28th day, unlessyou see her pulling hair before that time. Do not put the nest box intoo soon or she will sit in it and poop in it, destroying the goodenvironment it was meant to be. A nest box can be made of 1/4" plywood.The best dimension for it is:

[align=left]
  • Dwarfs: 12" long x 8" wide x 8" tall
  • Medium: 15" long x 10" wide x 10" tall
  • Large: 18" long x 12" wide x 12" tall
[/align] [align=left]Round out the top onone of the narrow sides to allow her to enter easily. Do not come downtoo far, though, because the babies may escape. I find it best to fillthe nest box in the following way: Put some absorbent pine shavings(not cedar!) on the bottom 1". Then put alfalfa or another good hay inthe rest of the way. Hollow out a hole in the hay that she can get inand put the young. [/align]

[align=left]
When you put a nest box in, the doe will start taking up hay in itsmouth to prepare her nest. Watch carefully to make sure that she isputting it in the nest box and not spreading it on the floor of thehutch. If she is spreading it on the floor, she is intending to havethe litter on the floor instead of the nest box. This would bedisastrous. I find that if you move the nest box to where she wasspreading it on the floor, she may then prepare her nest in the nestbox instead. Make sure you watch for this because if she has her litteroutside the nest box, the odds of their surviving are very slim.
[/align]

[align=left]
Usually, the doe will pull her fur from her upper abdomen and aroundthe shoulders just before she is to give birth. However, on occasion, Ihave seen them pull fur one week before they were due. Make sure thatthere is enough fur pulled for the nest or the little ones may freeze(depending on the temperature). Occasionally, if a doe does not intendto take care of the litter, she will pull no fur. I always keep a boxof fur on hand from earlier litters in case I need to add some or takesome away.
Sometimes a doe will give birth prematurely. These babies, if they aremore than 2 days early, will usually die, and there is nothing you cando about it.
[/align]

[align=left]
Sometimes a doe will prepare the nest with fur but never give birth.This is called "False Pregnancy". You may rebreed her 4 daysafter she was due.
[/align]

the girls are both Dutch, so was the buck. thisis thier first litter they are about a year and a half- the nest boxesi have are the same size-should i add bedding in for them?

they are still not nesting- both of them! ilined the nest with torn up newspaper (is newspaper ok?) ialso used aspen shavings and straw-because they eat the hay and it'ssorta dusty! they're not pulling hair yet! i asked a friend of mine tocheck them (a bunny expert) one girl is supposed to have around 6 andthe other about 2!

thank you!!

I would NOT use aspen shavings (does it have a scent) because I'm not sure if that is recommended for rabbits.

I use straw and hay....

Unfortunately, Pam is out of town and I'm not sure if other breedersare on. But I don't know if you can use aspen bedding with rabbits dueto the oils in it? I know some of them like the cedar and stuff areout...

Some of my girls don't nest until right before they have their litters - especially the first time mamas..

Peg

thanks for replying so fast!!

I don't think the aspen has a scent-i'll change it anywho i like itbecause it isn't dusty and it's been recommended to me!!! i feel muchbetter knowing that they are somewhat normal new mommas!!

thanks so much

:rabbithop

I use Aspen Bedding for all 4 of ours. This wasrecommended by our vet who deals with "Exotic Pets". Now ofcourse I've never had any babies born here so maybe it's not good forthe newborns.

Susan:bunnydance::apollo:

i changed the bedding just to be safe!

one girl started nesting today-thank goodness!! but i''m still worried about her sister....

i have two buns that are dueto have babies TODAY! but only one has started nesting. they are duchabout a year and a half and it's thier first litter-minetoo!!

HELP!what should i do!

Well, you could try what I do - but pacing backand forth in front of their cages still doesn't work for me.(A watched doe hates to kindle).
:D

First of all, just because rabbits usually give birth on day 31 - itdoesn't mean it will ALWAYS happen. I've heard of does giving birthanywhere from day 28 - day 35! Usually by day 35 the kits are stillbornbut I have heard of some being born successfully.

You have to remember a couple of things.

a. Your does were bred a bit "old" for a first time breeding....Ithink. I don't work with Dutch rabbits. I am sure they'll be fine butmost of the smaller breeds are bred around 6 months or so - before theyget too fat or the bones settle or soemthing like that.

b. This is their first litter. They may not know what to do much aheadof time like an experienced doe will do. Frequently a doewill have her first litter "on the wire" simply because she didn't knowenough to nest or what to do.

The best thing to do is to give them lots of hay for nesting, a nestboxwith hay in it - and just wait. Either the doe will nest - or it won'tnest.

Check on her frequently for when she has the babies - and then beprepared to make a nest for her in the nestbox if she hasn't doneso....and move the babies to the nestbox. That is about all Ican suggest right now - sorry!

Around kindling time, if I think my does are having any problems, Iwill give them raspberry tea (I don't have access to fresh raspberryleaves). Some breeders will give them parsley. I also make sure that Istart giving them Tums from day 28 so that by day 31, they have a bitof calcium and won't go into a seizure from lack of calcium.

Peg

I don't really use bedding so I'm not sure aboutthe various types. My concern was because I had a lionhead breederfriend in CT who was having lots of problems with eye infections in afew litters...come to realize...she had put some sort of shavings inthe nestbox due to the suggestion of someone else (she'd always justused hay and straw)...and once she removed the shavings - the eyeinfections started clearing up.

thanks for the advice-i gave them a tums and loaded on the nesting stuff!

you've benn sucha help!!:D

thank you! thank you! both bunnies are nesting-pulling hair and the whole bit!they've both been busy allday! should be tonight!

thank you!:D

If they're pulling hair - it could well be within the hour or so...

I'm so happy for you.

Peg

Heloo everyone! emmalou is my best buddie and ihave the father of the about to be babys!!!:Dshe ceeps calling me withupdates...my enternet isent working so im at a friends!!! where goingto be grandmas!! are babys are haveing babays!!!:D:shock::elephant:

so excited! and i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one in the world that cares about them!! thank you!

Back