Emma could use more prayers/positive vibes, please....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Please send some ultra-strong prayers and/or positive vibes for my Emma....

She returned from her hospitalization yesterday; today, I will do whatever it takes to get her into the clinic of the exotics-only vet who used to see her. I feel that my pets' current primary vet has dropped the ball in terms of her care.

After I brought her home yesterday afternoon, I learned that Emma didn't receive sub-Q fluids yesterday morning and that she only received one syringe feeding and one sub-Q administration on Wed. and Thurs. when she was hospitalized.

As of 10 pm last night, she only passed a small amount of tiny, dry fecals. She passed even tinier and fewer ones during the overnight period. My anxiety has me reaching the panic point, since Emma's problems noticeably started early this past Monday.

I'd had the impression from the vet's office that she was on the mend; now I realize that no one was really attending to her as a rabbit needs when experiencing stasis. :(

Thank you for "listening,"

Jenk

I know what your going thru. Gi stasis is very commen yet very hard on a rabbit. We sent Boy Boy back to his previous owner and he got a shot of vitmens to pump him back into life again and hes doing much better. It was enviromental as he didnt like living inside and protested it very much. Its a serious illness. I wish more vets would learn about this.

LindyS wrote:
I know what your going thru. Gi stasis is very commen yet very hard on a rabbit. We sent Boy Boy back to his previous owner and he got a shot of vitmens to pump him back into life again and hes doing much better. It was enviromental as he didnt like living inside and protested it very much. Its a serious illness. I wish more vets would learn about this.
The thing is, my pets' primary vet--she sees our rabbits and cat--does know about stasis. She's actually considered quite rabbit-savvy among the vets in the area. So how/why my girl wasn't given more fluids and food while in her care, I don't know. But I'm angry and heartbroken at the moment, as I frantically try to reach the exotics hospital that *should* be open by now but isn't giving me a live person yet.

Oh Jenk, poor Emma . I'll say lots of Prayers :pray::pray::pray::pray:for Emma.

I sure hope that Vet didnt charge you for keeping Emma there. I'd be raising a fuss about that.

Hopefully you got in touch with the other Vet and they either saw her or gave you advice on what to do.

Susan:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

SOOOSKA wrote:
Oh Jenk, poor Emma . I'll say lots of Prayers :pray::pray::pray::pray:for Emma.

I sure hope that Vet didnt charge you for keeping Emma there. I'd be raising a fuss about that.

Hopefully you got in touch with the other Vet and they either saw her or gave you advice on what to do.
Thank you for the extra prayers, SOOOSKA and Everyone.

All vets near me--at least those who treat rabbits--charge a daily hospitalization fee; it's par for the course, as they say. My regular vet, though, doesn't (or at least didn't) charge me for the medications, syringe feedings, and sub-Q administrations they gave Emma. (The exotics-only vet I've mentioned literally charges for every single thing that gets put into an animal, which is why two previous bun hospitalizations there have cost us $750 and $850 for a two-night/-day stay.)

The tricky part is that hospitalization at my primary vet is much less pricey--less than $300 for a two-night/-day stay. But I'm not sure that seeing Emma pass tinier/drier fecals, knowing that she was only syringed about 10 mL's of Critical Care each day that she was hospitalized, and feeling my anxiety sky-rocket almost makes the much higher charge at the other vet hospital worth it. *sigh*

Emma, by the way, is relatively okay at the moment. The exotics-only vet saw her this morning (and charged me extra for a second-opinion fee, which I already expected). He thought that Emma was alert/active enough and has just enough gut sounds for me to continue the protocol given by her primary vet. It seems that it was the lack of enough syringe-fed Critical Care that cause Emma to pass such tiny, dry fecals. The hope is that my increased feedings (of 60 mL's/day) will moisten and stimulate her gut motility--along with the motility drugs that she's receiving, of course.

I must confess that it is horribly, horribly hard having anxiety and rabbits with sensitive guts--just a bad combo. I have trouble telling when I've caught a gut issue early enough to treat it without a vet visit--and telling how long I should give the issue to resolve itself through my care. Ugh.

Thank you again for all of your positive vibes and prayers. Emma is currently acting lazy due to a tummy full of Critical Care. :biggrin:

Jenk

ravishing wrote:
feel better Emma <3 and bunny owner =)
Thank you, ravishing.

I'm awaiting a call from the exotics vet but suspect in my heart that Emma will end up hospitalized again--this time at the exotics-only clinic, rather than at my rabbits' primary vet clinic.

Latest posts

Back