Emigrating bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
I finally convinced my husband to leave themilitary. Which means that we are going back to the states (hes goingback, I'm emigrating)We will live in New York and reside in Middletownfor a while if everything will be like we plan it. And we willleaveafter May 1st.

The decision came pretty sudden.

I want to take my pets to the U.S. I know its possible. But I have many pets.

-8 bunnies (one 5yrs. rest 2yrs. and below)

-8 rats (only taking the young rats seniors stay with my friend)

-1 dog (dog wont be a problem)

When we get to the U.S. we will have to live with his family for awhile. They already told me there cant be lagomorphs or rodents in thehouse.

I have been thinking about giving my pets to a shelter or somethingsimilar until we find an appartment. But I'm not sure if thats possibleand how much it would cost.

I found out about the shipping and emigrating rules. Pets from germanydont have to be quarantined. But the shipping costs alot. I heard aboutusing a specific box for shipping (forgot the word for it) and thatsmall animals might be in 1 box in a group and it only costs for thebox not the nr. of animals??

So can please anyone help me with information about shelters and shipping rules?

Emi

My main concern would be the long flight. Manyanimals dont survive long flights, especially if theyre not kept in thecabin where it is temperature controlled. I would be especially worriedabout a bunny like Amy, who's sick...(EDIT: Oh, Im so sorry I just readthat she passed. Bless her little heart )

Anyway, doesnt the military have something where they help with moving pets and such? I know Ive seen a link somewhere, hang on.

Heres the military link, but, after looking at it again, I dont know iftheres anything useful there. But its worth a look:http://www.militarycritters.com/16.html

And heres our info on travelling with bunnies:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15628&forum_id=17

Other than that, I really cant offer much advice. Are there any of themyou could rehome with someone you know and trust in the area so that somany dont have to make the journey??

Good luck! I really hope you can make it work!

Ohh i'm happy to hear that you finally got hubbyto agree to leave the military,you must be so pleased,i know you havewanted this for a while now..as i read in your post a while ago.I'malso very sorry to hear about Amy..i read about it in your blog..verysad..but don't be hard on yourself :hug2:

I cannot offer any advice,but i just wanted to say good luck and i hope everything turns out ok for you :)

cheryl

Hey, I see you're loggedon now!

I was wondering how things are going and if you've had any luck with this?

Hope all is well!

Haley

Hi sry I didnt have much time for forums lately.

My Internet was down and its still not working properly and has problems with loading.

Im also concerned about the long flight. I would like to be with them but i think thats not possible :(

I found out about the prices and its 260$ for each pet o_o

My husband wants me to leave some of them and I probably give the 4 rats to a friend. The seniors wont make it that long.

Also our time in the military got extended a couple of months and we wont leave before summer 07 most likely.

Im having a big problem with the 5 yr. old bunny, he is not accepted inthe group..my husband asked me to leave a couple of bunnys which wouldbe a really tough decision and I still hope I can take them all.

I found a pet Hotel willing to watch the pets ..but its pricey.

My Mother in law also offered that the bunnys could live in theyard..since its around summer/ fall it shouldnt get too cold forthem...I also got an outside stable where they could reside...Im justreally worried about thiefs and cats or other animals..

Emi

Hi Mümmel!!! Bist du nicht auch im Kaninchen.atgemeldet? Cool endlich mal jemand aus Deutschland! :elephant: Hab michhier recht allein gefühlt, weil ich überhaupt nicht gut englischspreche...

@all, sorry for the OffTopic! :?

Ja genau da bin ich auch, aber weil ich bald in die US rueber mach dachte ich es ist ne gute Idee hier auch mal zu stoebern.

Die Kaninchenhaltung ist etwas anders hier aber habe hier auch nuetzliche Tipps gefunden.

Ja habe ich schon mitbekommen. Gitterböden, waso soll den das? Naja...
Ach du wanderst aus? Cool, also so richtig- oder nur mal Urlaub?

Back