Emergency!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgtpepper

Reaction score
Hello my rabbit is having trouble to get comfortable. I think it's just gas in his stomach but I'm not 100% sure. He can't even sit like how rabbits when they sit they have that nice "bubble" shape. When he does sit he sits like a dog. He can't even go to the bathroom. He stopped using his litter box for a few days now. It doesn't matter if it's clean or super messy he still won't use it. I'm starting to get really scared with my rabbit.

If he has stopped eating and/or pooping for more than 12 hours, I would get him to an emergency vet that is experienced with treating rabbits, immediately!

If it has only been a couple hours since he started feeling uncomfortable and stopped eating, I usually will try infant gas drops. If after trying that for 3 doses(2 hours) and my rabbit isn't back to feeling better, I would take them right to the vet. Depending on what the vets findings are, your rabbit will need at least some pain meds, though may also need gut motility meds, syringe feeding mix, and may need to have xrays and blood work done.

This link has information about what to do and the dosing info for the gas drops.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I'm in Canada and there isn't a rabbit savvy near me the closest one is maybe 2 and a half hours away. He is also 7 or 8 so I don't want anything strong for him he stopped eating for 2 hours now. And I offered him food and a treat and he didn't want it. I had him for 5 years now and I don't wanna loose him.

You can try a belly massage, put him on your lap and your fingers under his belly and carefully massage him, if it is gas you may actually hear it. It helps to move the gas.
My doe liked it when she had troubles, normally she would never let me touch her there, but at that moment she relaxed noticeable.

Simethicone drops (baby bloat drops from the pharmacy, the concentration varies between brands, but about 20mg Simethicone per serving, 3 times a day, if I remember correctly) can't hurt, and help with gas.

If he isn't eating you may need to force feed him, first water if he isn't drinking and some soaked pellets, you can mix the Simethecone in that, but always put only small amounts in his moth - there are tons of threads on this topic here, read up, maybe youtube has something an that topic too.
Whatever you use, syringe or so, sand off any sharp edges.

You don't need a rabbit savvy vet for that if you can't get one. You have to see a vet NOW or your rabbit will die. That's an absolute certainty - not eating, not pooping for days is not a stage where you can just give belly rubs and simethicone and hope for the best. He has stasis and a possible blockage, he needs an x ray to check if there is no blockage. If yes, you are in bigger trouble and you'll need a rabbit savvy vet. If not, your rabbit will need metacam for the pain and Reglan (Emeprid) to stimulate the guts. He will also need to be hydrated. It's nothing strong and the fact that your rabbit is almost 8 changes nothing : a rabbit not pooping needs to go to the vet and that's final, the more you wait, the riskier it is (a stasis treated on the first day is generally gone after the first day of treatment). There is no telling if there is a more serious underlaying cause without seeing the rabbit, but stasis is completely curable and causes death only when it's not treated when it should have been.
Here's an article about stasis:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf
Seriously, pick up your phone and ask for an emergency consult now.

Aki is right when your rabbit didn't poop for several days, or did he just not use his litter box? My answer was more inspired by the "not eating for several hours".

Anyway, get him to a Vet asap, the things I mentioned might help for the time being in a not too severe case, but a vet has far better ways to help, like infusions or medics to boost appetite. If he didn't drink too that's a big problem.

If he really didn't poop for days, that's really an emergency.

Latest posts

Back