Emergency situation??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
:(I just got back and found that therewas liquid brown stuff on bunbun's blanket!!! im very worried, it has areally bad odor to it just like diarrhea does!! Its quite watery andshe is going often! I dont know what to do!!!! Im really panicing aboutthis, should I hydrate her with something? pedyalite? or should I takeher to the vet!!????? someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock::(

Hi Luna21,

If you have some Pedialyte, giving her some would be a good idea. Do you have a syringe?

Take out the pellets and give her some fresh hay and if you have someoats, even if it's the old fashioned Quaker Oats, give them to her. Notreats, vegetables, greens or anything else.

I don't think you need to see the vet just yet. See how she does with the hay and the oats.

She does need to stay hydrated, as you know. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Yes I do have a syringe, im going to trypedyalite!! I will go and take away her pellets right now! I have somequaker oats so thats what I will give her!! I will keep you posted!

My money's on her being fine. :)

You caught it right away and she just has to stay hydrated with fiber to dry her up.

She should have an oz. of water for every pound she is within a 24 hour period.

She might drink on her own, so see how it goes. If you have some NutriCal, a 1/2 inch of that wouldn't hurt her.

-Carolyn

The very runny/watery diarrhea is usually anemergency situation and can indicate enterotoximawhich can becaused by a number of bacterial infections including E. coli orcommonly Clostridium species. A "sloshy"belly is often a symptom, especially in young rabbits. In myexperience, this condition has a rapid onset in adultrabbitsand is often fatal within 24-48 hours. Supportivefluid therapy is a must. Antibiotics are sometimesrecommended.

A thick pasty, type poo may be viral related, but is usually non-fataland passes within 24 hours, normally without any treatment.

Pam

Oh Dear!

Thanks for theinformation, Pam. hat's alarming, butvery important to know. God, I hope it wasn't the soonerrather than the latter. What would yourecommend? If it's watery? Is it too late forIvermectin at that point?

How's things going today luna21? How's she acting?

-Carolyn

I was hoping for some news this morning -- I was worried and have to leave in a couple hours.

The Pedialyte is the best advice. Products such as "Dry Tail"for hamsters may help -- it contains the antibiotic Neomycin which canbe very effective against the bacterias that cause this suddendiarrhea. In emergency situations, Lactated Ringers IV may benecessary.

I wouldn't administer Ivermectin (I'm thinking you meant to type NutriCal, which could be helpful -- I believe the vitamin E is veryhealthful to the GI tract).

Pam

Oh My! I worry when you're concerned, Pam.

Thanks for signing on and checking before you leave. I hope we hear from Luna21 soon!

-Carolyn

When Clostridium is involved, the onset is sudden and there is often no time for any treatment :(

Pam

Our rabbit Binky died within 24 hours of havingdiahorrea because we didn't get him to the vet in time. Feelabout in therabbit's belly and see if there is any blockagesyou can feel. Binky had impaction in his stomach... probablydue to eating newspaper (Henry and Max have no access to paper orcardboard now because I don't want the same happening tothem). He was very cold and wasn't as active as he normallywas a couple of days beforehand. When we let him out, he'dhuddle up next to the fridge where it was warm. If we'd takenhim to the vet earlier, it might have been a differentsituation. We didn't check for dehydration anddidn't know enough about the condition to save him.

Wasbunbun pooing normally in the days before thishappened? If not, it could be a blockage. I wastold that any case of diahorrea is an emergency and to always seekmedical help if it happens.

I hopeshe is okay luna! I'll be thinking about you! *hugs*

Ang xx

P.S. Please don't let my post worry you, you're rehydratingher which is one of the best things you can do! We didn'tknow enough about it, but you seem to have spotted the signs early andhave the help of everyone here.

If anyone finds this post inappropriate, please feel free to delete itCarolyn. I'm just relaying my experience, be it a sad andhorrible one. :(

I hope and pray that I wasn't too laid back in my advice to luna21.

Pam said to me: "I hope we hear some news soon and I hope thenews is good. You gave the good advice of giving liquids,which may end up saving her rabbit's life. If it is somethingmore serious, the vet may not have been able to do anything.In the times where I have seen the sudden onset of sudden diarrhea, therabbit was already dead when I came out in the morning, or died shortlyafter -- there was nothing that could be done because it alwaysprogressed so swiftly:("

We'repraying very hard. How I hope thatwe hear fromyou soon and that the baby girl isokay. I've been looking for a post from you all day.

Delphinum, you're post ismost important. I wouldn't dream of deleting it.

-Carolyn

Oh Luna21, :?

Where are you?? I'm dying to know how our baby's doing. I'm assuming nonews is good news. Please let us know what's going on. I've been soworried about her.

-Carolyn

Hi guys, im sorry i haven't been on in while!i've just been keeping a close eye on Bunbun ! she did have some solidpoops this morning, but she hasn't eaten all day and hasnt pooped orpeed all day! im very worried, her body is cold and her ears areremaining cold! she is just notbeing herself, and she didhave normal poops just before this happened, so im worried that itcould be a stomach impaction....if this bizarre behavior continues iwill be taking her in to the vet maybe tonight or tomorow! I will letyou guys know what is happening ! thanks for youre concern and caring!

Keep her warm and snuggly; give her more NutriCal, syringe the pedialyte to her. Massage her belly.

How is she not being herself? She's lethargic? She's not eating as you said.

The NutriCal can help keep her nutrients up as well as give a kick tothe immune system, and perhaps stimulate her appetite and need to go tothe bathroom.

The Pedialyte will keep her electrolytes up and her hydrated. Massagingher belly could help break up whatever is going on in there.

Simethicone does help with gas and certainly can't hurt.

Tucker's cecotropes had no grape-like form. It was mush, and then wet.That is a form of diarrehea. Then he stopped pooping and eatingcompletely. He wasn't in a heavy molt when this condition started.

If bunbun isn't eating hay and oats, you should definitely give her a syringe full of canned pumpkin.

Is she grinding her teeth? The poops you saw earlier, were they the normal color?

Personally, I think you're right to take her to the vet and see whatthey have to say. If you don't know of a rabbit saavy vet, now's thetime to call around. There's a list of questions you can start withthat's within this forum. Let me know if you want me to bump it up.

-Carolyn

Luna21,

From what you told me, bunbun isn't eating, pooping, is crunched up, iscold and has chilly ears and is lethargic, and she's swayingside-to-side.

Bunbun doesn't feel well and has to see a rabbit savvy vet. No doubt.

For tonight, I doubt you'd feel comfortable taking her temperature, soI'd put a heating pad with a towel over it, on low, in her cage. Makesure she can move away from it if it gets warm and she can get off ofit. I'd assume that her body temperature is going down from what youdescribe.
Keep up with the Pedialyte and canned pumpkin. Give her 2 or 3 moretreatments from now until morning, and if she likes the canned pumpkin,give her as much as she'll take. I believe in a bit of NutriCal too.

Take her to the vet tomorrow, and do keep us posted. I am on baited breath waiting to hear good news about our baby girl.

-Carolyn

We're all with you on this, Luna21.

We'll all be waiting to hear.

You and bunbun are in our thoughts and prayers.

With Love,
-Everyone

Bunbun is eating and drinking alittle bit thismorning, so im thinking thats a good sign! she peed and pooped, theywere normal size and color but there wasnt much! she slept in her catbed with the heating pad below it, and it warmed her up quite a bit Ithink, cuz her ears aren't as cold and her body has warmed! she's stillscrunched up in a ball so I think she's still might be in pain, so Iwill keep up the nutrical and pumpkin and i will keep pushingfluids.... and thesimethicone for her cramps! I will keepposting on her condition!

Latest posts

Back