Emergency Question-milkweed!!!

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

StarBunny

Active Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2021
Messages
31
Reaction score
22
Location
Northern Illinois
Hi my rabbit ate about a thumbsized piece of milkweed! He is about 5 lbs. Will he be ok??? I can't take to the vet. Any advice is most welcome.
 

StarBunny

Active Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2021
Messages
31
Reaction score
22
Location
Northern Illinois
THank you Watermelons :) I did read that article too. But I had been confused becuase so many other resources say that it is poisonous. It has been over an hour and he is still ok and behaving fine and eating and playing.

I wonder how much time needs to pass before you know for sure they are in the clear??
 

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Joined
Jul 19, 2015
Messages
1,879
Reaction score
1,618
Location
Austria
It is very, very difficult to poison a rabbit that is used to greens, they evolved to deal with everything botany throws at them. Either by stomaching it, or by deciding after a test nibble that they don't like it, or just in small amounts. There are many shades of gray regarding toxiticy, if they have free choice and practice they know how much they can stomach, or even use it as medication.

One can get pretty paranoid when reading too much on the internet.
Those lists on the internet are well meant, but often everything that is toxic to any animal is on there, like, how did horses manage to survive so far? And they don't take into account that rabbits can deal with quite a lot of that stuff and can taste what is not good for them.

The test nibble he did isn't going to harm him, I wouldn't put that plant on his daily diet though.
 

StarBunny

Active Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2021
Messages
31
Reaction score
22
Location
Northern Illinois
Thank you both! The vets on the phone could do nothing except ask me to bring him in (which I couldn't) or give me the number for a poison control that I'd have a fee to call. It ends up that he was fine the entire night and next day. Although later on he left behind several ceocotropes, so maybe he decided that he shouldn't reingest it?
Its too bad that by now, no one has put together a better compilation on information on rabbit foods for these kinds of situations.

I hope you all have a great week!
 

Latest posts

Top