EMERGENCY! Please Help Him!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only hope so. I haven't received any news as of yet. Hopefully I will soon, I think about him a lot too. :(

Good news everyone! Little Charlie will survive and his skin is currently growing back! Ms. Slover showed me the picture on the first day of school, it was awful. He looked like a skull with two ears and his eyes were barely connected with tissue! It was really...interesting. He looks much better now though, he still has no skin on the top of his head and currently no eyelids. I'm not sure if those can be grown back...

So every period his eyes a blown with a gentle air gun to clear the dust and whatever else is in them and then rehydrated with eye drops every few minutes. Ms. Slover said she's doing what she can but being the vet and animal science teacher she's often running around with her class outside in the barn area so she said he'll most likely have vision problems in the future and probably permanent sight issues(I still love him anyway). I will try to get the pictures to show you(one of before and one of now) and I'll make sure to put a little warning for those who do not wish to see them.

Thank-you all for the support and advice, we managed to pull through this time!

The poor little guy! I'm so glad that he's recovering though, what a thing to go through. Bless his little heart. I would be interested to see photos, it's hard to imagine the amount of damage that you're describing.

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better and hope that he'll be in a safe place in the future since you are saying he won't be able to see all
that well. I know that must be scary for him and I hope it's all ok for him in the future.

Vanessa

Oh glad to hear that little Charlie is doing better. That must be so scary having something like that happen. I can't even imagine. I'm crossing my fingers that he keeps getting better and better.

I'm so happy to hear he is going to survive. Hopefully a lot of tissue will grow back. I had a bunny that got a good portion of her whisker pad bitten off, (fight through cage wire, felt bad learned my lesson though) I was surprised at how scar tissue grew back and filled in the gap and then enough fur grew back so that you could barely tell anything had ever happened. So hopefully it will heal even better than you think. :pray:

What ever he had, sounds like it was really unusual, I read the health sections of a lot of rabbit forums and I have never heard of anything like this.

So what he had was something called Pasturella Infection ir Staff. These are pictures of when his face first fell off...they are pretty gruesome so if you don't want to see it please scroll past this post.

very ew.jpg

extreme ew.jpg

high pitches screaming.jpg

Now here's a picture taken a few days ago! As you can see he has made leaps and bounds. He is now once again comfortable with being pet on the back. I'll upload another picture in a week or so!

lesser ew.jpg

Wow what an improvement. I would throw a blanket in there for him to be comfortable. I'm sure he must be uncomfortable in that cage with his face like that. Poor baby!
Please keep us posted...
I'm so glad he is healing well!!!
Vanessa

Oh gosh, it looked awful at its worst. I'm so glad he's made such a massive improvement! :)

I'm glad too! My sister teases me because I was about 85% sure he was going to kick the bucket and didn't have much faith in his recovery. I was surprised to see him doing so much better. Sometimes I give him his medicine too. I'm not sure what it is(I'll be sure to ask my teacher) but it's a pink medicine. Since he's at the school I don't know how often it's given to him but I'm occasionally asked to give him .1 cc orally.

lovelops, I never thought about that! Maybe I can see if my teacher will put an old towel in there for him. There's a little covered area in the hutch where no one can see him. inside he has a litter box and bedding. So maybe that's enough
? He spends most of his time in there.

Holy Jesus and mother of God! You are a braver person by far than I am. My husband and I have been following Charlies battle. Seeing that baby at his worst turned my stomach. However, I cant believe how quickly he started to heal. I was a vet tech before I became an Army medic. I've seen it all. I would have been a hysterical mess unable to treat my own bun! Glad he's on the road to recovery. Glad you were quick to act and get him treated!

Holy Jesus and mother of God! You are a braver person by far than I am. My husband and I have been following Charlies battle. Seeing that baby at his worst turned my stomach. However, I cant believe how quickly he started to heal. I was a vet tech before I became an Army medic. I've seen it all. I would have been a hysterical mess unable to treat my own bun! Glad he's on the road to recovery. Glad you were quick to act and get him treated!

Thank-you! Also, thank you for serving our country! I'm so glad so many people have been there to help me and have been silently supporting his fight! Yea at first my teacher wouldn't send me the pictures because she didn't want to ruin my summer over worrying for him. On the first day of school I dropped by her class to see how he was and she asked if I wanted to see the picture with this big smile on her face. She showed it to me and I was rather horrified! One of the other teachers walked in to say something to her. She took one look at my teachers smiling face and my horrified one and the first thing out of her mouth was "you showed her the picture, didn't you?" My teacher is also a vet tech and she's inspired me to become a veterinarian which is my driving force for the FFA!

Holy moly, that's the craziest thing I've ever seen. The poor little guy, such a fighter to be recovering so well though. As a side note, if you do end up putting a blanket in with him, you're betting off giving a fleece blanket than a towel, because the long fibers in towels can cause issues if ingested.

I'm so glad you posted. I was really a little shocked by the photos of him at his worst but I think his recovery is just amazing. So happy he made it. :) Its also great that you want to become a vet :)

Thank-you! Yea the only thing I'm worried about is his eyes. You can tell that even now it's not very good as he's very jumpy and nervous. I had to talk to him before he would let me pet him. I was thinking that maybe when he's fully recovered we could do a bunny swap. Not being able to see well and being surrounded by so many people must be a little terrifying. He seemed happier at my house and though I don't really like to admit it. Lois seemed a lot happier at the school being an only bun and getting loads of love and attention and the fact that she doesn't like the animals at home.

Does Charlie get brought home with your teacher at night?

The poor little guy probably would be a bit scared around all the students right now, little darling..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back