EMERGENCY! Please Help Him!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dear lumlumpop,

I have many rabbits living with me and where I live there are not esotic veterinaries, so we have to work with our experiences and outside informations.
We had some situations like this happening to you and we used some drops 3 4 times a day of tobramicyn with cortison for the eyes, the same used by humans and it worked.
but this is just our experience.
good luck

p.s. the most important thing is to keep very clean the eyes.

There is also drops you can buy online for the snuffles. I know I got some for some rescue rabbits I was helping. I think the web site All Things Bunnies has drops for the snuffles and other things you can buy in case you are having problems with your other bunnies. I don't think most doctors have some of the things on hand that bunnies need so it might be good to get an "emergency kit" together for your bunny in case something happens in the future... I'm glad to hear everything is going ok and it's treatable!

Vanessa

anaotilia

Thank-you! Yea I've never seen a bunny with so much gunk in his eye! For a second I wasn't sure if his eye just popped or something! (Now THAT got me panicking!) I'm happy to say we have at least two rabbit savvy vets. One at a veterinary close to our house and another at the emergency clinic! So that's good! I respect you for having to deal with bunny problems on your own! (Hopefully you're unlike me where I spent about 10 minutes just panicking!)

lovelops.

That is an AWESOME idea! I never thought about making an emergency kit before? Knowing how fragile buns are I'm sure it will come in handy some day. I think I'll visit that website!

UPDATE: Earlier today I recieved an pdate on Little Charlie's condition...

...it's not looking too good for him right now.

Apparently he was misdiagnosed. He doesn't have the snuffles, or even a virus. Unfortunately it appears he has some sort of flesh eating bacteria that started in his back and worked it's way up to his face which was the cause of all the pus around the eyes. Ms. Slover said a lot of his skin is dead and fallen off and he looks the equivalent to a skeleton with ears. She said she didn't want to worry me by sending a picture. She also said that Lois and Clark should be fine since neither have had direct contact with him. Little Charlie has been given a shot and is on some different antibiotics for now. He is still eating and drinking normally as of right now but Ms. Slover said he could go either way, he's kinda in-between good and bad right now if that makes sense. They are just going to monitor him and see how he responds. If he stops eating I'm sure Ms. Slover will just put him down so he doesn't suffer anymore.

She spent a good 5 minutes explaining to me that it was in no way my fault and made me promise I wouldn't blame myself...she knows me too well.

Well when I find out how he's doing I'll let everyone know, but right now I'm not too hopeful.

Oh no that's awful :( Is there any way he could recover from flesh eating bacteria?? That sounds extreme.

I have no idea. Ms. Slover administered a vaccination and some antibiotics they're keeping him on. He isn't exactly "cute" but he's still eating and drinking is what she told me. To be honest I'm not really holding my breath, let's face it. It sounds really bad. :(

That's so sad, and a bit shocking about the little guy. Definitely something that is very rare, and the first I've heard of it occurring in a rabbit. I hope he pulls through, though it does sound extremely serious.

Oh my goodness, that's terrible :( Really hoping he'll pull through. Now that he's been diagnosed and has the proper treatment for it, hopefully he'll start to pull through. The fact that he's still eating and toileting well is a very good sign.

I just read through the whole thread and feel so sorry for him, he's such a cute little guy. Just incase your teacher wants to put something topical on his skin, if nothing else is working I read somewhere that manuka honey has worked on people with flesh eating bacteria when it was resistant to antibiotics and nothing else was working, so that might be something to try.

I've been reading this thread too but don't have any help to give. I'm just praying for little Charlie and hoping that he will be alright even thigh his chances are slim. I'm so sorry that this has to happen while he was with you. I can't imagine it. :(

Squidpop

Yea I know, I really hope he improves. Ms. Slover told me they were putting honey, vaseline and brown sugar on his skin.

Everyone, thank you for your help and support! I promise to let you know anything that happens to him as I know!

I saw Ms. Serafin today(our other Ag teacher and good friend to Ms. Slover) she said she's seen th picture and he really does look like a skeleton with rabbit ears and agrees that I really shouldn't see it. I really don't want to see it!

:pray: I hope his condition improves with the treatment. He sounds like a perfectly sweet bun.

I can't believe schoolkids paid more attention to guinea pigs than him, he is way cuter than a guinea pig. It sounds like he is getting good care. I hope he gets better soon poor little guy.

I can't believe schoolkids paid more attention to guinea pigs than him, he is way cuter than a guinea pig. It sounds like he is getting good care. I hope he gets better soon poor little guy.

Yea he is a bit stand-offish at first, I don't believe he was ever handled much before. Honestly I have never seen a better behaved bun! He is an unaltered buck and guess what? He doesn't spray, he isn't territorial or aggressive and he adores other rabbits! The student that gave him to the school was telling me once how he as an awful rabbit and she hated him. That he always kicked and bit and I should be careful. I literally kept eye-contact with her the entire time as i picked him out of his hutch and he climbed up and calmly sat on my shoulder.

Latest posts

Back