Emergency! Need Help ASAP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
My mom asked me to post here, one of her English Angora does has a VERY swollen nose.

It does not affect her breathing, but we are afraid it may be a tumour. We have a pic any help would be appreciated ;)

- Location - Hutch outside our barn

- Description (Breed, color., weight) - English Angora, Chocolate, About 6-7 Pounds?

- Age - A little over a year

- spayed/neutered? No

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Normal
- When did they last use their litterbox? She isn't litter box trained
- Any unusual behavior? Nope

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? Nope

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? RollingAcres Rabbit Feed
- when and what did s/he eat last? She has been eating normally

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Yes she is moving normally :)

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Yes

25gvsr8.jpg

OH NO! I am so sorry...
umm i cant help because im not good with rabbit medical problems like this!! :(
I wish i could help though.
Someone will come around to help. Give it a few..

Good luck to you and the bunny.

I'm not an authority on this, but it sounds to me like you should just take her to the vet. With something that obviously wrong I think you will end up having to go anyway to fix it.

Just thought I would give my two cents.

Oh gosh, what a nose. I'm so sorry! I would get her to a vet! I'm not an expert, but that looks like some severe allergic reaction. Has she been sniffing anything she hasn't been exposed to before? Any chemicals? Cleaning agents? Plants outside? Anything that might have bitten her? Is she scratching or bothered by it?

I hope an infirmiry mod comes soon...

So weird - I recently had a Holland Lop with the same condition - and it's the only time I've ever seen it. The photo doesn't clearly show how red, swollenor round it was (like your rabbit's nose).

In my rabbit's case, it was a simple infection. Lancing, draining, and some antibiotic ointment cleared it right up.

Pam

feb12 038.jpg

Hello Pam its Marina my daughter posted the pic of my bunnys nose, it is really swollen almost like the size of a marble on her nose, could I put polysporin on it if i lance it with a pin what do you think.. If you can let me know that would be great I tried giving her a tiny bit of Benadryl

Thanks Marina

Looks like an abscess. Maybe her nose got bit through the cage wire? She'll need vet care, but if the vets are closed tonight she'll be ok till tomorrow.

Yep - its an abcess - I've had the happen once or twice before. I waited till I saw the white spot showing me where to lance it (like Pam's photo) - and I lanced it and drained it and used triple antibiotic ointment I had - and then I drained it when/if it filled up again.

I'm going to pm you also even though Pam is really more of an expert than I am. But for the record - I'm going to put in here that you want to try and lance it where you see the white spot like in Pam's photo because that means the puss will be closer to that area.

I'll pm you with some more information.

I personally wouldn't lance it myself. But if you want to do that, I'm sure Pam and Peg wound know how to do that best. I think due to the location lancing it is good, but personally I'd have a vet do it.

After that, neosporin can be good, but I would also use injected Pen G. You can find it at Tractor Supply Co--get the Penicillin G procaine/benzathine solution. Also, you'll need lactated ringer's or an injectible saline. The needles and syringes can be bought at TSC too. Here's a protocol. I really think it's important to do this to make sure there aren't any other abscesses that pop up.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/morfz/pdf/bicillin.pdf

tonyshuman wrote:
I personally wouldn't lance it myself. But if you want to do that, I'm sure Pam and Peg wound know how to do that best. I think due to the location lancing it is good, but personally I'd have a vet do it.

After that, neosporin can be good, but I would also use injected Pen G. You can find it at Tractor Supply Co--get the Penicillin G procaine/benzathine solution. Also, you'll need lactated ringer's or an injectible saline. The needles and syringes can be bought at TSC too. Here's a protocol. I really think it's important to do this to make sure there aren't any other abscesses that pop up.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/morfz/pdf/bicillin.pdf
Normally I wouldn't recommend lancing to just anyone or on just any abscess - but this one is so obvious where it is located that once you see the white pop up (like in Pam's picture) - you know right where to lance and it really isn't that hard.

The things to consider (which I pm'd the poster about) are having a tool that is sterilized to lance with - the medication to put on it once it is lanced - and as you stated - the Pen G to follow up with.

Unfortunately - my nearest vet that will do stuff like this is 70 miles one way - so I've had to do this myself.

If we were talking about an abscess somewhere else where the skin is thicker and it would take more work to lance it (ie - needing painkillers and stuff) - then no - I would never recommend it to just anyone.

To me - the key thing is to wait until you see the white though....I had one girl get her nose like that and it took 3 days or so for the white to show up...I hated having her live with it till then - but she was fine. She had stuck her nose through the cage bars and I guess the rabbit next cage over scratched it or bit it or something...

I can also see that this location could cause problems--like breathing difficulties--if it got too bad. Normally I wouldn't recommend lancing at all, but it may be helpful in this case.

SilverBirch- a pin will be too small to lance it with. Rabbit's pus is super thick and would not come out of a hole that small. A scalpel shouldn't be hard to find, you can usually get a disposable one for a few cents at a feed store or farm supply store. Don't make a big cut, but it will need to be more than a pin hole to get anything out. You also want it to stay open to keep it draining, it will re-fill after the first time you open it. The Pen-G is also a must, you give it as an injection, and you can squirt a little into the opened abcess itself as well.

Latest posts

Back