emergency i need help! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagneticLove

Reaction score
so my bun is sick he has not been eating or drinking since last night and his poops were very very small and now he is just not pooping. as of last night i thought it was like a blockage or something because his stomach is hard.

well this morning he is having difficulty breathing and i checked it out he has like mucus and its really hard and its making it hard to breathe

i called some emergency vets and they all keep on telling me to just wait until my normal vet opens which is in an hour!!

anything i can do untill then? i tryed cleaning his nose with the q-tip and a lil water but that stuff is hard

I think you are doing the right thing- just try and keep the nasal area as clear as you can possibly get it until your vet opens.

Make sure he's warm, too.

How long has it been since you saw the last poop? 12 hourssince his last poop is a call for an emergency vet immediately.
This sounds as if he could be going into GI stasis. Could be caused by stress, an underlying medical condition, a blockage etc.

Does he eat hay? Is it available 24/7 to him?

Does his stomach sound loud? As if he has gas? A loud gurgling?

How old is he?

His stomach doesn't feel very hard and distended does it? This is bloat, and the following thing I am about to tell you should NEVER be done if you suspect bloat.

Try gently massaging his belly, or using something like a vibrating toothbrush against it to break up the gas- even putting him ontop the washing machine can help.
Also maybe giving him some Simethicone (a baby med for gas relief) could be a good idea.

I can't see how mucous would be linked to GI stasis though....

Get him to the vets as soon as you can.

I hope he is okay.

Jen

I don't agree with you, Jen, sorry. Twelve hours without pooping isn't an emergency, sorry, but I don't want to panic other people reading this thread. We've had rabbits go days with no poops under certain conditions. The other symptoms really have to be assessed.

A rabbit not eating for 24 hours is an emergency, however.

Having the poops get smaller and stop is often a sign of a blockage, but it can also correlate to a loss of appetite, so that's not a given either. And a bloated stomach may be a further symptom of that. Or it could be its own symptom.

The mucus is not normal and its alarming. I'd steer clear of the abdomen for that reason as well.

Given the previous infection or tumor in the testicle, I'd start there, but don't rule out bloat.

sas :pray:

Pipp wrote:
I don't agree with you, Jen, sorry.   Twelve hours without pooping isn't an emergency, sorry, but I don't want to panic other people reading this thread.   We've had rabbits go days with no poops under certain conditions.  The other symptoms really have to be assessed. 

A rabbit not eating for 24 hours is an emergency, however.

Having the poops get smaller and stop is often a sign of a blockage, but it can also correlate to a loss of appetite, so that's not a given either.  And a bloated stomach may be a further symptom of that.  Or it could be its own symptom.

The mucus is not normal and its alarming.  I'd steer clear of the abdomen for that reason as well. 

Given the previous infection or tumor in the testicle, I'd start there, but don't rule out bloat. 

Yes, I initially wrote 24hours, but after looking on the House Rabbit Society website, figured I was wrong, because it says

if your rabbit stops eating or producing feces for 12 hours or more, you should consider the condition an EMERGENCY. GET YOUR BUNNY TO A RABBIT-SAVVY VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY.

That was the only reason I changed it from 24 hours to 12 hours- I didn't want to give misinformation.

Sorry for causing confusion

Jen

hey thanks everyone for all your help
i went to my vet and they told me that they couldn't see him until 9:30 and they open at 8 i am so pissed off right now seems like everywhere i call they tell me to just wait! but he is having trouble breathing and i cant just wait ****... i'm kinda freaking out here

i have been calling around and they tell me either their vet that treats rabbits is'nt in or to just wait until they open

i called the pet smart vet place they said i can go at 9 but i will have to wait for the people that have appointments at 9

what do you guys think should i go at 9 and wait or go to the other vet at 9:30?

Being an emergency and calling a vet is not the same as rushing your rabbit to an emergency vet.

I'm always concerned when my rabbits pass the 12 hour mark without eating or pooping, but that's when I call the vet and/or start home treatment.

This rabbit is obviously very ill given the other symptoms, however, and an rabbit savvy ER vet would have been an option, but they are rarely rabbit savvy. This clinic was aware they didn't have the experience.

I hope someone was able to help him. :(

sas :(

I'd go with whoever can get him in an incubator, give him oxygen, clear his airway and give him subcutaneous fluids.

How is he?

PS: What did happen with the swollen testicle? That's pretty important info.

ETA: If your regular vet is rabbit savvy, I'd take him in there and wait. (As in sit in the waiting room, but keep him calm and in a covered carrier). At least if he starts getting worse, he'll be close to a place where he can get some attention.

Pipp wrote:
Being an emergency and calling a vet is not the same as rushing your rabbit to an emergency vet.

I'm always concerned when my rabbits pass the 12 hour mark without eating or pooping, but that's when I call the vet and/or start home treatment.

sas :(

I meant just call your vet as an emergency- not go to an emergency vet. My vet is open long hours, and when I call, I can usually come down there within the next 15 minutes.
I'm used to being able to just call as an emergency, and whizz down there.

Again, sorry.

Jen

i just got back from the vet, unfortunately he was very badly ill all ready.they examined him and said he looked blue they put him in a oxygen mask and took some x-rays and they showed that he had a big tumor in his upper stomach and his testicles were fine. she showed me the x-ray and it looked dark and big. she said that was what was preventing him to breathe.

she said he could go into surgery but his chances of living through the anesthetic were very slim.

so i came back home without my lil bunny.:( at least he is not suffering any more

I'm so sorry Karla. You did the right thing, and he is not suffering any more.

Binky free little guy :rainbow:

Jen

Latest posts

Back