EMERGENCY: Bunny with no balance and little/no movement in back legs.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor bunny, I pray that he gets ok soon!
If I were you, I'd have the tests done.. I guess it's important, since you can be treating the bun for something that he might not have, and you can be missing the real issue. I guess knowing the right diagnosis is the most important thing to be able to treat your bunny correctly.
Whatever it is though, I hope he gets better very soon!
Stay with him and show him that you care - this by itself helps a lot!

Has he urinated now?

Sounds like an injury. He's going to be feeling a little off for awhile.

I wouldn't have bothered with the blood test but Panacur and especially Metacam is a must (but only when he has food in his tummy and he's hydrated).

I'd move on to antibotics and xrays if he doesn't show improvement with the Metacam.

sas :clover:

Update: He has urinated!! woohoo!

He's definitely off. Since he spent the day at the vet and endured 2 car rides in one day, he's definitely stressed. So, I'm letting him rest for a couple of days.

Very surprising if they didn't already prescribe Metacam. The shot was probably a steroid, if that was the case, definitely don't let them give him another one.

It reduces the swelling but can lower the immune system and/or promote infections.

Metacam is an NSAID. If he's peeing and eating, he definitely should be on it. (It's close to Ibuprofen).

sas

Pipp wrote:
Very surprising if they didn't already prescribe Metacam.  The shot was probably a steroid, if that was the case, definitely don't let them give him another one.

It reduces the swelling but can lower the immune system and/or promote infections.

Metacam is an NSAID.  If he's peeing and eating, he definitely should be on it.  (It's close to Ibuprofen).

sas

Yup, Dr. Liz said the shot was a one-time deal.

I'll update tomorrow on what she says about Metacam? Does anyone know how much it costs or what the price range is?

Unfortunately there isn't much hope for saving a rabbit once it gets in this condition... there is a good chance the bunny could have had a serious case of ear mites, mites are known to take rabbits off their balance. I would have to see the rabbit to tell you for sure. Hoping for the best ...

Reference:

Raising Rabbits 101: Raising Rabbits 101

rabbitgeek2011 wrote:
Unfortunately there isn't much hope for saving a rabbit once it gets in this condition... there is a good chance the bunny could have had a serious case of ear mites, mites are known to take rabbits off their balance. I would have to see the rabbit to tell you for sure. Hoping for the best ...

Reference:

Raising Rabbits 101: Raising Rabbits 101

Thanks for the concern, Aaron. But the vet already checked for mites or an ear infection and found nothing.

As for my update: Katmai is doing much better. Taking one day at a time. :pray:

Update: Katmai was FINE yesterday. 90% better in fact. Today, he's back at square one. I dont know how this could happen. I also have no idea what to do since I have no money. I'm seriously at a loss. :tears2:

Edit: The SMALL upside is that he doesnt have the head tremors again.

Latest posts

Back