EMERGENCY BROKEN FOOT?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
Soleil got out of her cage.
Attacked Sabriel.
I think his front left foot is broken.
Im so scared
I cant stop crying
We're taking Soleil back to the Humane Society.

Bunny parents wrote:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that :( Get well soon for your bunny.

have you ever experienced a broken foot in rabbits? is it treatable?

No, I've never had the experience myself, but broken foot, as I read, is treatable. How's your bunny doing now ? Did you take him to the vet yet ? It's really broken,right ? It's visible ? When he walks, he doesn't put his weight on that foot ?
:pray: I'll keep your baby in mind. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Bunny parents wrote:
No, I've never had the experience myself, but broken foot, as I read, is treatable. How's your bunny doing now ? Did you take him to the vet yet ? It's really broken,right ? It's visible ? When he walks, he doesn't put his weight on that foot ?
:pray: I'll keep your baby in mind. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

We're taking him to the animal emergency novi vet thing in michigan.. hes moving around but his foot is hanging and is all dangly..

thank you so much, i havent stopped crying since the whole ordeal.. what a lovely thing to wake up to- your new rabbit attacking your babies.

Thank you Nancy. We're at the vet right now. I'm so scared because they havve to anethesitize him so they can xray him and thats risky... im scared he'll get GI stasis with the meds... if he's splinted then how will he notchew it? and then we have to change the bandages by a vet everyday?my head hurts so bad. im terrified.

Poor Soleil (well I guess she'll be Zelda again), after all that work you did teaching her tricks. She'll be so confused. :(

Randi wrote:
Poor Soleil (well I guess she'll be Zelda again), after all that work you did teaching her tricks. She'll be so confused. :(

Poor Soleil? We can't afford her going psycho on my other POOR rabbits. It's easy for you to say that when it's not your rabbit in the emergency room at risk and it's gunna cost us 500+ dollars. What am I supposedto do? Keep her locked in a cage 24/7, afraid shes gunna attack my other buns, or even someone else if they smell like my other bunnies? She needs to be at a home with no other bunnies. I won't have her hurting Solara, Silas or Sabriel again.

We're praying for your baby bunny. I hope everything goes well at the emergency room. I know how frustrated and how scared you are, but be strong for your bunny, ok ? He needs you right now and with you being there for him makes things go easier for him. I'm sure the vet will help your baby fur as best as he/she can do. The one who attacked this boy is a newly bun at your house ? :( I hope after all of these, things will be better among your bunny crews.
Please, if you can, keep a post here about your boy
:hug2:

Thank you so much. That means a lot Vircia. He broke both of the large bones in his front left leg. He is in a splint with a cone... the bones are broken perfectly straight.. the splint may or may not help... if it doesnt the options are $2000 for surgery to fix it or amputate the leg... both are a risk of him dying during it or putting him to sleep...

:( Oh poor boy. So will he stay there for a night or you can take him home ? Did they give you guys any meds ? I really don't know what to say.. I know it's hard, but we need to be there for our bunny and with your love, I'm sure he will quickly recover. Be strong for both of you, ok ? Okay, I'm no expert here, but a clean straight broken bone is easy to grow back sticking to each other again ?
You're welcome, Yield. At least I can be here, keeping you a company.

Yield wrote:
Randi wrote:

Poor Soleil? We can't afford her going psycho on my other POOR rabbits. It's easy for you to say that when it's not your rabbit in the emergency room at risk and it's gunna cost us 500+ dollars. What am I supposedto do? Keep her locked in a cage 24/7, afraid shes gunna attack my other buns, or even someone else if they smell like my other bunnies? She needs to be at a home with no other bunnies. I won't have her hurting Solara, Silas or Sabriel again.
It is unfortunate for everyone involved. I feel terribly for both Sabriel and Soleil. Nobody is winning in this situation.

Bunny parents wrote:
:( Oh poor boy. So will he stay there for a night or you can take him home ? Did they give you guys any meds ? I really don't know what to say.. I know it's hard, but we need to be there for our bunny and with your love, I'm sure he will quickly recover. Be strong for both of you, ok ? Okay, I'm no expert here, but a clean straight broken bone is easy to grow back sticking to each other again ?
You're welcome, Yield. At least I can be here, keeping you a company.

[align=center]We brought him home. We got antibiotics in case he got bitten (even though he was attacked through a pen. Soleil is who got her fur ripped out and stuff) and we got pain meds too.
I'm trying to be strong- it's so hard, I love him so much. I can't even fathom what I'd do if he didn't survive all of this. I keep telling myself that he's a touch lil bun and has to be okay. I hope I'm right.. By that, I meant like... it's not a slanted break. the bone is broken straight in half and the doctor fears that the bones will just go back and forth. Also, call me Bailee please =]

Anyways- he's got this huge blue cast on and a cone and he just looks so sad. I feel so bad, I feel like it's all my fault. Also- we just took Soleil to the Humane Society, and they're going to put her up for adoption. No matter how mad I am at her for attacking my bonded pair (they can't be together until Sabriel is healed) I am very sad to see her go, and I hope she gets a great home...

Also Vircia, do you have an email or facebook or something? You're very nice, and I would love to keep in contact with you outside of RO =]

Also- I'm Polish! I just noticed it said you live in Poland.

it sounds like you are dealing with everything correctly, Bailee, so hopefully the vet will help you decide what is the best option for his leg.
You did the right thing by going to the vet right away....

Irealize how diffiuclt it is to experience a rabbit fight. I had something similar happen to two of mine years ago but without the damage.
keep us updated..

you certainly have not had a good weekend :(

:hug:\

Maureen

angieluv wrote:
it sounds like you are dealing with everything correctly, Bailee, so hopefully the vet will help you decide what is the best option for his leg.
You did the right thing by going to the vet right away....

I realize how diffiuclt it is to experience a rabbit fight. I had something similar happen to two of mine years ago but without the damage.
keep us updated..

you certainly have not had a good weekend :(

:hug:

Maureen

[align=center]Thank you angieluv =]
Yes, we decided to see if the splint works..
I've been with him/around him as much as possible.
Hopefully his momma's care and hand feeding and pets help =]
I am also playing healing music.
Yeah, it's horrible. And it was only through the cage. I think thats how he broke it. Getting it caught in the pen while fighting her.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated, every step of the way. Thank you for replying and such. I'm very grateful.

And you're right, this weekend has turned out horrid.

I feel sorry for all the bunnies. You did the right thing by taking Soleil back to the humane society. Always trust your instincts when it comes to your rabbits, you know them best. Good job for acting so quickly getting Sabriel to the vet. I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

Sweetie wrote:
I feel sorry for all the bunnies. You did the right thing by taking Soleil back to the humane society. Always trust your instincts when it comes to your rabbits, you know them best. Good job for acting so quickly getting Sabriel to the vet. I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

[align=center]Yeah, I feel sorry now that I've taken Soleil back.. but she deserves better than me now. I wouldn't be able to treat her the same. I wouldn't be mean to her or anything. But she definitely broke the bond her and I had when she did this. I can't believe how brutally she acted. She really was out for blood. She'd been trying to get to them for days and I've only now just realized. She was always chewing on her pen, eying them... She'll get a good home, and be the only bun, and be super spoiled <3

We acted as quickly as possible. We had to find a vet and everything.

Me too, thank you.

What an awful thing! major hugs..what a devastating thing to experience. I feel terrible for you and sabriel.. prayers for you both. I answered your reiki thing before this one. I'm glad your baby has been seen and treated. Now, both of you need to heal. When my bunny was attacked by the cat, it was one of the worst things I ever went through. I can relate.

Latest posts

Back