EMERGENCY. BABY HELP (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introoder

Reaction score
Okay. grrr.

This doe is about 2 years old. I was told she was semi proven, but I can't be sure. (The breeder wasn't... trustworthy.)

One breeding, retained kit.

Now I bred her again. Kindled today, while I was away.
Three werid babies. Two VERY elongated things. One came out, looked good, 'cept it had litterally no paws. The feet were rounded off stubs. Then one kit, frozen, that looked normal. I brought it back, and it's sitting next to me on a heating pad.

So. Help?

Uuuh. It's breathing entirely through it's mouth. I've never seen a baby so young, so I'm not sureif that's normal or not. Or perhaps I have, but it was a few months ago, and I wasn't really in the mood to think. At that time, too, I was trying to save their lives.

Also. Circulation seemed to stop in the face, and in one back leg. They're pretty purple, on a pink kit.

No desire to nurse, even when put directly on a teat.

But making noises when bothered, and moving lots when rubbed.

I can take him to someone else tomorrow, to put in with their litter, if he's still alive. But... Is there really any chance that he will be? On the outside, he looks completely formed. And he looks pretty decent, compared to the unformed ones. Not to mention, it's day 32 or 33... But idk. *sigh*

Uuuh. Yeah. HELP?

The purple mouth and legs are probably just bruising. I don't like the breathing through his mouth though. It shouldn't be doing that. I am wondering if he aspirated some liquid from the kindling process. Does he have a round, full belly?

I don't want to sound pessimistic but it doesn't sound like he stands a good chance. I am not liking the way it is breathing and the fact that it won't nurse.

Good luck...your little baby will be in my thoughts. Keep me posted.

Sharon

Putting which down? Because the three were born dead/froze. (I would have no problem putting down any animals with visible problems, no matter how much my heart doesn't want to.)
The one I have left, that looks normal, and is acting... Kinda strange, is still alive, four hours after just finding it. (It was cold to the touch, but after a couple of rubs to the stomach, it started breathing and kicking. After than we brough it in, warmed it in our hands/breath until the heating pad warmed up. Now that's where he's sitting, up in my room, on the heating pad.

I tried again with flipping L1L over, and putting him on a teat. No suckling. He seemed to want to, and tried a couple of times, but nothing like any of my other babies have ever done. (Go crazy when they smelt mom.) I tried giving him a little small animal milk replacer (I believe it's dry goat milk.), but it was about 50/50 success with him swallowing it. Cleaned him up, and now he's laying on the pad again.

A second look at his stomach: it's sort of inbetween. Like, he was fed when he first came out.. But that's unusual, I've heard. He's a little wrinkly, but idk.

Oh. And yes. L1L's milk has been in since last night, I believe. But you can most certainly feel it now.

He's still breathing through his nose. Still no gurgle sounds. And he's twitching, I would assume, in his sleep? Little kick, ear twitch, and such every now and then.

Hmn. I've had horrible luck with litters in the last two months. >.>;;;

Resolved.

The kit had three huge seizures, then slowly faded in the course of 30 minutes. That was just about the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I biopsied the poor thing. It's stomach was one huge gas bubble. With a tiny amount of milk in it. But... Her stomach was 1.5 times the size of the kits head, at time of death. I checked the other lower organs. When I started to get to the heart/lungs, there was too much there, and I couldn't get to them. I decided to ignore the brain, too.

That was about the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Now for the question:

Do I give this doe one more shot? She's only failed me 2/3 times she gets.. But this last kit, plus the unformed ones, have just thrown me off..

Did she ever pass the retained kit? If it's still in there, that could be bad for her health and for any future litters.

Did she ever pass the retained kit? If it's still in there, that could be bad for her health and for any future litters.

That does sound familiar with what I've heard about when does pass retained kits later. That could be the reason this pregnancy went so poorly for her, and future pregnancies might not be bad, but I'm not a breeder.

From being a former breeder of Show Cali's..2/3 times is enough crap odds for me to retire her..

The trauma alone of this last birth is enough to do it for me.. and who's to say it's not her with some sort of genetic abnormality to cause this..and next time she does NOT have the strength to pass the retained kit...

I wouldn't do it.

But that's just me.

That's where the phrase "It's just a rabbit" comes in for me.. as in "it's just a rabbit, her giving me babies is not going to make or break my show lines..i won't put her life in jeopardy.. looks like I got another pet.."

I think, at this point, you have to look at her and see if she's worth getting a litter from. Is she one of those rabbits that's got everything you're missing? If so, another try might just be worth it. If not, move her on.

Latest posts

Back