Edible plants and shrubs i can plant im my bunny area????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

total bunny

Reaction score
i want to know what are some safe plants i can plant in my bunnys area??

but i want to know a shrub/plant i can plant inthere area and can stay there. as in they can eat it as much as theywant and eat the rooots and twigs without any harm.

Rosemary grows very large, that's was one listedon the "herbs for rabbits" We had one in our backyard and it took over,you would need a rabbit to help keep it under control!

Megan

Meganc731 wrote:
Rosemary grows very large, that's was one listed on the "herbsfor rabbits" We had one in our backyard and it took over, you wouldneed a rabbit to help keep it under control!

Megan
With Rosemary, the bunny will never be depressed:)

Absolutely you can plant dandelions. :) Your rabbits would love you for them.

Some of the other things rabbits enjoy the twigs and leaves from are:mulberry trees, a grape vine, blackberry bushes, oak trees, willow,pear or maple trees. They'll enjoy acorns if you let them. Plus youcan't forget about the grass!

Be sure not to treat with any pesticides, of course, and check thewebsite above in case you do decide on something - just to be on thesafe side.

-Carolyn

Hi Total Bunny,

Dandelions are actually considered a wild vegetable and rabbits love them. :)

-Carolyn

Originally published as On the Trail ofthe Yellow-Flowered Earth Nail: A DandelionSampler, you will find this book full offascinating information and history about the dandelion. I learned alot about dandelions…and realized how much I never knew about them! Iwill never look at my yellow-dotted lawn the same way again!

Did you know…

• Dandelions are NOT weeds! They are wild vegetables
  • According to the USDA, dandelions are more nutritious than broccoli and spinach
  • Dandelions attract birds and deer
  • In Pueblo, Colorado it is illegal to grow dandelions
  • Dandelions are good food for gerbils, hogs, cows, horses and poultry
  • Dandelions may taste bitter, but if harvested and cooked right, they can be delicious
  • Dandelions are helpful medicinally: as a diuretic, to cutfats, to reduce gas, for kidney stones, cancer, diabetes, to cleansethe blood, for weight reduction, for vision, for your skin and acne,for bowel functions, to lower blood pressure and serum cholesterol, andfor anemia
  • In Mythology, Hecate fed Theseus dandelions for 30 days sohe would become powerful enough to defeat the Minotaur.
  • Dandelions may be used in many recipes, for beverages,omelets, salads, juices, gelatins, quiche, soup, pasta dishes, breads,pizza, gravy, dips, spreads, pies, cookies, jelly’s, waffles, fritters,wind, pudding, and even ice cream!
  • All parts of the dandelion are useable. The leaves forgreens, the blossoms for wines and jelly, and the roots forcoffee.

i want a plant i can plant in the bunny area andit cant hurt them, as in they can eat everthing on the plant even theroots and not be harmed in anyway

By the way, total bunny, I love your avatar!

Whata beautiful baby you have there! What breed is she/he?

-Carolyn

total bunny wrote:
can i plant dandielion in thier area?

Yes. I'm sure they'd love it. Here's some moreinformation about them taken from one of the websites I pointed you toin my first reply.

You really should take some time to read those sites. I'mthink you'll find them helpful in your planning and questions.

-Carolyn

Dandelion
"Dandelion is an excellent food given fresh in unlimitedquantities. Fermenting or wilted plants can cause bloat. Dandelions areone of the most nutritious food plants for rabbits. Being rich inprotien and poor in fiber. The digestibility percentage is high at anestimated 70%. Well known for it's curative powers. The bitter milkysap stimulates the working of all glands, including the milk glands oflactating does. The plant has both laxative and astringent qualitiesand regulates constipation and diarrhea.

Dandelion is good for many things in people and can be used for rabbitswith these problems also: preventing osteoporosis (for the old bunny),bladder infections, lactating, liver problems, swelling, tonsilitis,warts, and pneumonia.

I feed alot of Dandelion every day, especially to my babies and theyjust love it, but you have to be careful because that is all that theywill want and won't eat their pellets. So I limit it to a few smallhandfuls a day." Cheryl

Dandelion Made My Bunnies Glow With Health!
"I have been giving my rabbits Dandelion leaves every morning forthe last two weeks. Two (2) leaves to my Dwarfs and four (4) leaves tomy Mini Rex and 6 to 8 leaves to my Flemish. After two weeks they allseem to glow! They are eating well, increased drinking, their fur islooking great and recovering from moult in fine fashion - not lingeringin moulting for weeks and missing the shows. I now have a little"dandie" garden, because I can't believe the extreme changes with myconcentrated efforts of daily dandelion leaves." Deanna

i savedd her an another bunny from the wild, fromwhat it sounded like was there were 3-4 litters and the people didntwant them so they released them to the wild to be eaten:(. tommy andbrenda were the only survivors.

heres brenda....

i dont know much about bunnys:(what kind of bunny is she?\

also, my name is Evan

Sorry, I don't know what breedshe is, Evan.

I would strongly recommend you check out the "Cheat Sheet for RabbitCare" post. It's one of the top 3 in this forum and youshould know some of the basics so that your bunnies can live a long andhealthy life.

-Carolyn

turtle_eating_dandelions_lg_clr.gif

A little off topic, but I remember growing up and my parents makingDandelion Wine. They even let us taste a sip--it was yummy :)

dandelions_butterfly_hg_clr.gif

Back