Edible Flowers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
Every list I find says something different on flowers, but when they say for instance violets can give the leaves also? Does anyone have a real good list they go by? There are so many.

Oh God I did. With about 200 flowers. I printed it out though. I'll try and find it. Gimme a mo.

Jen

I am so sorry- I can't find it atm. But I will keep looking.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help with this in the meantime

Jen

Hazel eats the violet leaves. We have the little purple ones, cpalled "sweet violet", and small yellow and violet ones. Not sure what they're called, my husband calls them "pixie faces" :)

They love the purple violets they go crazy for them lol. I usually put a couple flowers in with their veggies. I never thought of the leaves though.

"A number of other lists" also contain many inacuracies, particularly the ASPCA lists, or any that get their information from there.
The flowers of gladiolus species are generally not considered toxic. I would not let them eat the bulbs however, but even those are classed "low toxicity." The effects are mainly mildly vomiting and diarhoea, in dogs and cats. The sap also can cause dermatitis, in susceptible individuals.

no, I haven't grown any here in California. Hazel's vet however has. Her bunnies used to run through her yard, and snack on pretty much all of her flowers, according to her.
She is of the opinion that most flowers are ok for rabbits to snack on occasionally.
Personally, I wouldn't worry either if a rabbit would eat a few flowers when visiting the yard, but most of the flowers I wouldn't exactly feed, certainly not as a staple diet.

Latest posts

Back