eating rabbits!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*poifect*

Reaction score
:rant:

UGH!!! i am soooangry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Me and my family went to thisrecommended restaraunt last night for dinner. I was looking at the menuand it said "rabbit":growl: !!!!!!!!!!!!i was soooannoyed that i actually refused to eat anything there.

sorry butI just had to let my anger out!

:tantrum:GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tantrum:

lurv anabell :mrsthumper::bunnydance:

If it upset you, you should call the manager andcomplain. Let him know that its offensive to a pet owner to come in andsee their pet listed as an entree. Some managers will listen if enoughpeople call and complain.

Yeah it's horrible.:( But the thing is, rabbitswere originally kept for meat, then fur, then pets. So if it wasn't forpeople eating rabbits in the beginning, then we wouldn't be enjoyinghaving them as our beloved babies now.:dunno

Not that I condone eating rabbit in any way, I could never doit.:disgust In fact, I'd prefer not to eat any meat at all, but I'vetried the veggie route a few times and it just won't work for me,probably a lot to do with how fussy an eater I am, I don't even likevegetables.:huh

It's really no worse than having steak, duck,roast lamb etc. Somewhere, someone has a chicken for a pet, or a weelamb, even a cow.

A few years ago, I went to a Vietnameserestaurant in Southern California. There was a selection onthe menu that I had no idea what it was. I asked, and guesswhat??? It was rabbit. No thank you. Iended up eating veggie that night I was so disgusted.

Blah, that's awful. Not sure how many peoplehere are believers or not. But, the Bible actually says not to eatrabbit! I can honestly say AMEN to that! lol

Depending on what "bible" you read it alsostates not to eat pigs or cows as they are sacred.I don't eatveal or lamb as I do not eat babies but I do eat all othermeat. I believe that if you eat any meat then youhave no right topreach what is ok. To each their own.

I have no biblical adversity to eating meat, butI am a new convert to a semi-veggie lifestyle. For about amonth now, I am meat -free. I am not calling myself avegetarian, because I cannot resist shellfish. Put a shrimpor a lobster in front of me and I melt. Other than those twosins, I have been clean and see no problem in staying thatway. I do not miss meat at all.

Rabbit is still very much recognized as a meatanimal throughout the world...much the same as cow or goat or sheep, sohaving it on the menu at a restaurant - while you don't see it listedas often as cow - is not surprising. For myself, I had always beenturned off at seeing veal or lamb on a menu, since the slaughter ofbaby animals, because their meat is more tender, I've always thought tobe rather barbaric. However, that's just my opinion. I choose to noteat meat because I don't like the thoughts of eating another animal.

I guess in personalizing our pets, seeing their bretheren on arestaurant menu can be quite shocking if you're not used to it. I oncesaw a documentary on tv - actually not on purpose...I was flippingchannels and stopped to see what was on - and the scene they showedwithin seconds of me coming across the channel completely sickened andhorrified me. I won't go into detail, but suffice to say it was aboutAsians having dogs as part of their diet....it showed an open-airmarket and how they sold live dogs to the public, but (to put it asgently as I can) *processed* them for the customer. I saw that sceneprobably 10 years ago now, and to this day the image still makes meill. And while that scene would have upset me no matter what type ofanimal it was, because they were dogs - and cute ones at that - it feltlike witnessing a murder.

For myself, I cannot condemn others for eating animals, or even in whatkinds of animals they eat...the only thing I do tend to condemn is theway so many animals are raised for meat in overcrowded, inhumaneconditions, or simple out-and-out abuse and/or neglect of any animal,pet or otherwise. But I can still empathize with you for being upsetover seeing rabbits on a menu...I think it just shows how deeply youcare about them, and how you wish you could help them all.

You're right, God talks about not eating hovedanimals. (that's why no pork for me(Plus it's really bad for you), andI hardly eat any beef.)

This discussion really made me curious about what the bible says about eating meat, so I searched a little.

I found some verses in Leviticus, Chapter 11 and now I'm even more confused.

According to what I found, it is acceptable to eat meat only if the animal has hooves AND chews its cud (cows).

It specifically states that domesticated rabbits (coneys) and hares arenot to be eaten because they do not have hooves, although it says theychew their cud (?).

I got really lost on the part about fowl.

I didn't know the bible said that....:ponder:

I really want to try and be veggie again, the more I think about it the moreI don't like it.

By "cud," they mean cecals for rabbits. I just read that quotation in The Private Life of the Rabbit.

But isn't shellfish off the list in the bible too?

Although I would never personally eat rabbit, I grew up in a rural areawhere it's not unusual for people to raise rabbits to provide meat fortheir family. So it's normal for me to see, I just try not tothink about it. I eat other animals so I try not to bejudgemental about which animals other people eat, even if they are mypets. Some cultures traditionally eat dogs and cats andhorses, too. Not my cup of tea, but who am I to talk when Ieat pork while other people have pet pot bellied pigs?

Here's the chapter I referenced above, if anyone cares to read it:

http://www.htmlbible.com/kjv30/B03C011.htm

Verses 5 and 6 specifically state that the domesticated rabbit (coney) and the hare are not to be eaten.

The next time someone jokingly asks when I'm eating my rabbits, I'll refer them to this!

Edited to say: I don't judge anyone for eatingmeat. I eat some meat myself.I just getreally tired of the "rabbit stew" jokes every time someone hears I keeppet rabbits.

I eat only family raised free range chicken we get from my friend. Other than that I am veggie.

The last time I was at the feed store, the ownerand I had an interesting discussion on this. We were talking about hayand pellets and how some good alfalfa hay will help fatten up arabbit....and he was telling me (he's in his 70's) how when he wasyoung - they only used hay to feed their (meat) rabbits. He said thatthose rabbits tasted pretty darn good (sorry - but I am trying to putthis all in perspective here).

He said that back then - like 60 or so years ago - rabbits were prettymuch raised for meat only and rarely did you see a rabbit as a pet. Hecame from a poor family and the only way they could afford to put meaton the table was to raise rabbits for meat. So they raised the rabbitsand fed them only alfalfa hay (he said that they could afford to growthe hay as they lived out in the country and it was "GOOD" haytoo....whatever that means to him I don't know).

So even here in the US - rabbits started out as a "meat" animal. I do'tknow how long we've been domesticating them and making them pets. I'malmost 48 and I had rabbits as pets when I was about 8 or 10....butthey were Florida Whites or something like that....they weren't themore exotic ones.

The whole idea of eating rabbits is hard for me to wrap my mind around.I was talking to one breeder and I realized that part of why she caneat rabbit (even though she breeds lionheads) is because she sees themas "livestock" and started out with rabbits by raising "meat" rabbits.Once again - her family lives on a farm and she grew up on a farm.

I think rabbits make great pets and I love them dearly. To myknowledge, I have never eaten rabbit and I can't bring myself to eatrabbit although I have acquaintances who do. But I have come to thepoint where I understand that the concept of "meat" rabbits was herebefore we had pet rabbits and that many people look at rabbits aslivestock.

I've also found that just as they can't change my mind - I can't changetheirs...so I just sort of don't discuss it with them anymore.

Peg

Latest posts

Back