Eating paper towel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Libby's 100% pure pumpkin...the first one on the link you posted.

The other one is the actual pie mix with spices added...not to be used for the buns.

He's acting normal. His tummys just a tiny bit pushed out. His poops are smaller then normal. Force fed him some pumpkin this morning before work and I'm giving him more soon. Any ideas of what I should do?

I'm going to go get some pedialyte and fresh romaine from the store. I'm going to give him more pumpkin when I get back as well as pedialyte. How much pedialyte can I give him?

If he is better than yesterday then I would just keep up the same routine.
you can give him as much pedialyte as he wants.

Don't continue simethicone every 1-3 hrs around the clock but wait at least 8- 12 hrs before giving more

I havent given simithicone since last night at 7:30 so i'll give him 1cc. He just had at least 10cc of pedialyte through a syringe. He refuses to use a bowl. I'm going to give him a bit of pumpkin as well. If I do 1cc of simithicone should I give him another 1cc in 8-12hours?

you technically could give 3 doses an hour apart and then wait another 8-12 hrs before giving3 doses again but i would just give one for now.

if he is improving to some degree that is what is important.
Simethicone over time can be constipating but you haven't given enough to worry about that.

Just check in an an hour or so to see if his tummy is softer and/or if he is still pressing his tummy down to the floor.

I gave him the simithicone and some pumpkin, also a couple syrgines of pineapple juice/water mix. He's obsessed with eating hay. He's been licking himself alot the last day or so. I'm going to brush him soon to be safe. His stomach still hangs a little low. Just weird that he's still eating and acting normal. Hopefully he'll stay good with the fluids. I'm giving him more pedialyte in a bit.

Some of his poop is normal size, some still small. He had about 10cc of water this morning so far in a syringe and 10cc of pedialyte. Just gave him some parsley and celery. He normally eats romaine but there hasnt been any good romaine at the store lately, it's all dried out. I gave him 1cc of simethicone a bit ago and a spoon full of critical care. Going to try pumpkin in a bit. He seems okay, tummy pushed out alittle still. Think he needs more fluids. Called the vet last night and they're full today but I'm going to call my other vet (whos usually full too) and see if I can come in today and sit and wait for any free time they have.

Just got back from the vet. Luckily they found time to see me! We got an xray done. Just seems to be food and a small amount of hair in his tummy. They said he was hydrated pretty good and I can continue pedialyte and pineapple juice but not too much. No longer give pumpkin. They gave me cisapride and metacam to make sure his gut movement is alright and I have to keep an eye on his poop and make sure they stay normal. They say metacam once a day and cisapride every 8hours so I'm thinking i'll do cisapride twice daily. They gave him some fluids to be on the safe side. He's alright, just really tired.

tiabia0 wrote:
They gave me cisapride.......
Keep a close eye on him when giving the cisapride.
There are a lot of mixed opinions on using gut motility meds for rabbits.

This is from our RO Library:

- Gut Stimulants: Some vets swear bygut motility drugs like Cisapride and Reglan, and some areopposed to their use. They force the intestinal muscles to move more. There are mixed feelings on these as some believe them to be painful, and they can also cause problems. If your vet is going to prescribe these, make sure he does an xray to check for blockages. If there is a blockage, a gut stimulant can make it worse and might even cause the intestine to rupture.....

ref: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

There's no actual blockage but they wanna make sure things move around completely normal and his poops become normal. Its .25ml every 8 hours so it's pretty much nothing. I'm going to do it just twice daily. They usually put my girl rabbit on cisapride during her gi stasis every year.

I read on your link towards the bottom that it's said not to give pellets during this time. My vet was explaining kind of what the post said. He said to stick with the critical care and definitely make sure he gets alot of fiber/fluids.

Oh and I remember last time I brought up cisapride someone told me how a lot of people disagree with it. I discussed it with my vet and he said he has luck with it. I stopped using it after a short time last time just because. They said I should call every morning with an update and he only needs it til hes pooping normal and seems to be normal again.

Latest posts

Back