Eating paper towel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
My mini lop seems to have eaten a little bit of paper towel earlier this morning. He ate a small amount of hay earlier and a couple bites of parsley but now he won't eat anything. I force fed him some critical care just to make sure he has food in him. He's pushing his stomach to the floor like my other rabbit does when she has gas. I also gave him 2cc of simthicone. Not sure if anyone else has experienced their rabbits eating paper towel. Just wondering if anyone knows anything else I can do?

I think that he just needs some rest, also if he doesnt get any better u can bring him to a vet, my mini lop had eaten a piece of duck tape but he is all good:biggrin2:

A tought durable paper towel could be an issue because it would absorb fluids and not break up easily. I would continue the simethicone butI would also go out and get some pedialyte and start syringing fluids. . What you want to do is soak up the papet towel until it begins to move through thus preventing a blockage.

My guys have eaten paper towel but I buy the bargain brand. Is your mini lop sensitive in the tummy? Our nethie Ben went into a gas episode the other day after getting too many treats by accident. We isolated him (he could still see his lady) with a new litterbox full of hay, some favorite veggies, even a few pellets, and a big bowl of water and one of water + grenadine. We did the 1cc of simethicone thing every hour, with as much water as he'd let us syringe feed him each time, plus had a rice sock for him. It took a few hours, but he eventually started eating and pooping.

For your guy I too would push the fluids like angieluv said. Pedialyte is the best option, and keep up the simethicone. You may also consider a bit of pain medicine if you have it and he has some food and water in his stomach. Pain meds shouldn't be given to a dehydrated bunny or one with an empty stomach. Meloxicam (Metacam) lasts for 6 mo after compounding, and baby aspirin and ibuprofen are also options. Some gentle belly massages--especially feel around to see if you can feel hard, bloated areas--can help. Pumpkin puree is also a lifesaver, I'd get some of that too.

He's been eating and pooping but he still has his stomach pushed to the floor. I'm going to give him 1cc of simithicone shortly then another in an hr. Is pedialyte just for dehydration? He's been drinking water..

For pedialyte I'd get the plain kind, correct? And how much do I give him?

Just give him as much Pedialyte as he will take without forcing the issue.

More important is probably the massage and exercise. And canned pumpkin if he'll eat it.

Assuming the paper towel is making his gut sluggish, that will all help move it along.

sas :clover:

What kind of paper towel did he eat. ?
is he pooping normally now?

A cheap paper towel is not absorbent or strong but some of the better brands are tough and don't fall apart easily
it is gettin liquids in him too soften and move the towel through that is important and not whether it is pedialyte ; if he is drinking a lot of water on his own that is good

if he is still pushing his belly to the floor tomorrow and/or if he is not pooping and/or has a hard abdomen I would take himandget an x-ray.

It's the scott brand towel. He's been drinking the normal amount of water. His poop is normal as far as I can see. He's been lazy as usual. Think I'll make him go down the stairs a few times. Is there sugar in the unflavored pedialyte?

The last time I used Pedialyte, I bought the powdered version.
I got the 4-pack of apple flavor. Each pack makes 8 oz.
I think I still have a couple in my bunny-first aid-box.

That's the stuff, yup. :)

Give him however much he wants. You may have to convince him it's a treat by putting a tablespoon down with a treat on top and slightly buried so he has to taste it.

Mine all love it, but I had to talk them into trying it, a few took a bit to develop a taste for it.

sas :bunnydance:

tiabia0 wrote:
the canned pumpkin we have my mom uses for pies. its libbys 100% pure pumpkin.

Not sure if that's alright.. How much do you give?

http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/pumpkin.aspx

That's the right stuff.

Somebunnies love it and will eat it willingly.
I'd start with a tablespoon or so,and see how it goes.
It's not the easiest to syringe.... being so thick.

Oh great.. He doesn't want it. :grumpy: I let my other rabbit sniff it cause he usually copies her but she didn't want it so they both rang off to snuggle. might try syringing it.

Latest posts

Back