eating bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kep12091

Reaction score
I use care fresh bedding for my rabbits cage. I put Timothy hay in the cage and its of course been spread everywhere and sometimes I can't tell if my bun is testing the hay or the bedding. Is this harmful? Should I do something different ?thanks:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I use use Carefresh too (just in the litter box though) and whenever I clean the litter box and put in new Carefresh, one of my rabbits starts eating it. It isn't harmful for them. Do you have a litter box or do you just use the Carefresh in the whole cage? I started out using it all over the cage floor, but then when I started litter training them, I just put it in the litter box. I use a hay rack too that hangs on the side of the cage over the litter box so only some of it gets dragged around the cage.

I have been using care fresh all over the cage BC I wasn't sure what else to use... I have a different litter for the litter boxes haha But she Doesnt seem to care she's just been pooping everywhere and I keep putting it in the litter box . I am going to get a hay feeder this weekend so that should help a bit :thumbup:

Try just putting litter or Carefresh in the litter box and not in the whole cage. You don't need anything else in the rest of the cage. It might help her get the idea of where to go. If you think she needs a bed, you could try a fleece blanket, but she might start peeing and pooping on that too. The like anything soft for doing their business.

Carefresh litter is considered safe for rabbits, and a little nibbling isn't going to hurt, but if your rabbit is ingesting very much, it's possible it could lead to a GI blockage. So if this is happening you may want to change your litter or setup. Pulling the bedding out and only having the litter box may help.

If your bun isn't spayed, then it is common for them to territorial mark with their poop, and pretty much leave it everywhere. It could also be confusing her to have a litter box AND bedding all over the cage. If you take the bedding out and put the hay rack above the litter box, that may help more to keep the pooping more confined to the litter box.

I think I am going to try that with my bun.... thanks for the advice !!:)

I am getting a hay rack this weekend but should I also leave the hay other places ?

I don't know if it's the same for other buns (I'm a relatively new owner, only about half a year), but Mocha has a tendency to sit and poop as long as he's chewing on hay no matter where it's located, so I only put the hay in his litter pan to limit the amount of droppings all over the place. It has a wire grate on it to separate the hay from the bedding so I don't have to worry about it getting dirty, he's just at the most very messy when he's picking and choosing which bits he wants to eat most and I have to do a quick sweep everyday to get rid of all the mess!

So basically I think maybe do put some hay in other places and watch and see if he does the same thing my Mocha does? If he tends to poop a lot when he's munching on hay you may want to limit it to his litter pan too. I hope that helps!

Helps a lot --thanks! I just have so many worries about the new bun and advice really helps!

Latest posts

Back