Eastern Cottontail makes odd noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello again. For those of you that doesn't know, I currently have a rescued Eastern Cottontail living free in my apt. Her name is Brunswick. I also have a young Flemish Giant who goes by the moniker Sedgewick. They are both house rabbits, although Sedgewick does have a pen since she can't be trusted to not destroy/eat the carpet when I'm away.

Anyway, they have an strange interpersonal dynamic: they ignore each other much of the time, engage in a charming behavior I have dubbed "poo wars", have "long bunny" / "bunny loaf" contests and, on occasion, Brunswick bounces off of Sedgewick's head. Brunswick does something else weird besides her skillfully executed head pogo. She will charge off a short ways for who knows what reason, vocalize this breathy, high-pitched "Ulp" noise, and run off. I don't know if she's doing this because she's scared or nervous or if she's doing something indicative of wild bunny hyper behavior. I mean, if she's isn't happy and is overly stressed by living in a manner not natural to her instincts, I think it would be better letting her get re-homed by some of the rehabbers I found recently. Honestly, she one of the reasons she's still here having a Bunny 500 right behind me as I type this is because they try not to take any animals during the winter months. (Aww.. the bunny 500s are over... time to wash the face and sniff my legs.) Plus, legally, any animal that can't get rehabbed has to be destroyed in my state and I don't know if she would be considered too tame (not that the rehabber I chatted with seemed keen on doing that anyway... but still.. I worry). Arg! I just don't know what to do! So, does anyone know what the "ulp" noise means? Is it equivalent to a thump perchance?

Umm...I do a lot of cottontails. That is a sign of stress. The behavior you see is an escape mechanism and a warning to other rabbits that she is in trouble. In the wild, cottontails will post "sentry" rabbits to stand over the warren and warn of danger by thumping orvocalization. Cottontails generally do not adapt well to captivity....you will see the rare individual but it's not common. We call it a "wild out" and is something we look for when planning a release. A couple of things....in most states it is illegal to be in possession of native wildlife without proper permits. If you live in one of those states and the wildlife people find out, most likely you will be charged with unlawful possession (in NC, the fine is $600 per animal plus $126 court costs with a mandatory court appearance) and in many cases of imprinted wildlife, the animal is euthanized. And cottontails can carry some diseases that can affect you and your domestic rabbit. Tularemia (aka Rabbit Fever) is a bacteria that wild rabbits can carry and that bacteria can be fatal both to humans and other animals. Many cottontails also carry staph and other pathogens.

I urge you to do the "right thing" and find a licensed wildlife rehabber to send your cottontail to. They are generally not very happy in captivity.

Randy

errrm.... Cottontails don't dig holes, live in warrens, or are very social by nature (which is why I was confused by the vocalizations... why vocalize when you're not a social species to begin with). Are you sure you're living on the right side of the pond? Lol! :D I called the rehabbers before the cold season and they said at the time to wait until the thaw to surrender her if I feel she is unhappy. But if her bunny chirps means she is stressed and miserable now, I don't want her to suffer farther. I'll call them up again for some advice. Oh, and you needn't worry about disease. She has a clean bill of health, as does Sedgewick and myself. Trust me, my doctors had a field day testing me for Rabbit Fever and other zoonotic diseases when they found out I had 2 of 'em in an attempt to explain my on-going mystery condition, the results of which all of came up negative. As it turns out, my problems mainly stem from my immune system snacking on my body instead of the baddies... immune system FAIL! LOL!

BouncingBunnyBrunswick wrote:
errrm.... Cottontails don't dig holes, live in warrens, or are very social by nature (which is why I was confused by the vocalizations... why vocalize when you're not a social species to begin with). Are you sure you're living on the right side of the pond? Lol! :D
Eastern Cottontails do socialize and form hierarchies. While generally a solitary species compared to others, they do interact during mating and often their territories overlap. So naturally, they are capable of various forms of communication. This includes vocalization.

How did you acquire Brunswick?:)

they do interact during mating
That statement not only wins you the forum, but the entire internet as well!:laugh:

Anywho, I got her because she was savaged by a cat when she was young and I nursed her back to health. The rehabbers just told me the same thing: wait until the thaw.

I will have to say that she is one lucky rabbit....cat attacks are almost always fatal due to the very aggressive bacteria that cats carry in their mouth. Most small animals die within 72 hours without very advanced treatment. I would certainly call the wildlife people in your state (the state, not a rehabber)and discuss the legality of having that particular animal. There are a couple of states that don't regulate animals such as squirrels and rabbits.....but that doesn't make it morally correct to keep them as pets. Many rehabbers do not accept cottontails since they are so difficult to raise in captivity and will tell you anything to keep from taking a rabbit....and many times, and I see this all the time, is that many rehabbers don't know the laws. But regardless, it is not a domesticated animal and never will. While we do have some educational animals....we go to great lengths to train them for their role. I have some squirrels, flying squirrels and an opossum we use to train advanced rehabbers and vets. Even I don't have a cottontail due to their problems when kept in captivity.....Ihave a "stand in" domestic rabbit that few can tell isn't a true cottontail. If you need any contact numbers for your state wildlife commission or other rehabbers in your area.....if you will provide your general location, I can provide contact numbers for you.

And....I would like for you to consider becoming a licensed rehabilitator. You obviously have the passion and the skills. And I can tell you that the licensed people would love to have some talented and legal help for wildlife.

Randy

Wait.... that's weird... No one I have come across in this Bunny City, USA has problems with raising cottontails. They have become a sorta de facto temporary pet for college students around here since they are easily found young and everyone thinks the poor things have been orphaned. In fact, the only reason I have Brunswick in the first place is because the person whose cat mauled her didn't want her back when she was healed because she was a girl and they already had a male. I thought that she was too tame to be released at the time, but now I'm wondering if it was just her juvenile behaviors that she is growing out of... Hmm... I wonder if Bruns could be a teaching animal... she could sniff everyones' feet and steal their sweet sweet candies....

Mmmm... sweet sweet sneaky rabbit pilfered candies.....:happyrabbit:

I have been doing rabbits for many years....and our rescue is generally considered to be one of the top wildlife rescues in the state. We routinely present programs at various functions dealing with wildlife. We do fairly regular programs for a major vet school located nearby....we have a huge presentation scheduled for January at the vet school and have been asked to do another presentation for Animal Sciences there. We also have programsscheduled in February for a regional wildlife organization and a 4-H program. I also train other rehabbers and vets/techs. We don't have a teaching cottontail....wehave gray squirrels, flying squirrels and opossums....and they are not tamed just acclimated but they are still wild animals. But again, not a cottontail. That is why I have a "stand in". Cottontails are quite social when they are young. But when they "wild out"....they can kill themselves trying to escape. That actually happened to one of my volunteers....and this person is an experienced exotics veterinarian....and one of her cottontails went so crazy that it broke it's neck and died.....and she was transporting them for release. An experienced wildlife rehabber can acclimate using a process called "soft release". Again, this is a wild animal. You have done a fantastic job....now it sounds like it's time for this rabbit to take it's place in the world.I have a listing of all licensed rehabbers in all states and some in Canada.....I can provide that to you.

I would also like to use this thread to warn untrained people about raising wildlife. These are not pets....and you are not raising them in a natural environment. We get many squirrels and opossums that have been "saved" by well meaning people. The problem, most people read on the internet about using KMR or Goat's Milk. These guys are not cats or goats. Many of these animals come in looking OK but have a devastating underlying issue called Metabolic Bone Disease. It is a system wide issue..not just the bones caused by the improper nutrition these products supply. These animals have very precise formulas that require certain nutrients. Even most vets don't have a clue about things such as Vitamin D (which comes from exposure to unfilteredsunlight....which animals don't get insidea house) as well as phosphorus.....these components have to be offered in the same amounts as the mother's milk or the baby can't absorb calcium and other nutrients. This can lead to brittle bones, mental issues, stunted growth, organ failure, seizures and death among other issues. Properly raising wildlife is a science....not a game. Not only is raising wildlife without a permit illegal in most states, if you aren't properly trained, you are most likely doing the animal more harm than good. I can tell you that raising wildlife is a difficult job. You are responsible for all costs. In the spring, you can have around the clock days....and that is difficult if you have a real job. Many small mammals have to be fed every couple of hours.....many birds require feeding every 15 minutes for 12-14 hours per day (and bird require a federal permit). If you aren't trained or licensed....the right thing to do is find a trained and licensed rehabber. And if truly have a passion for rehabbing....I can assure you the organized groups will more than welcome your help.

Randy

Brunswick isn't really a pet per se. She is more like a roommate with their own agenda and such... But yeah.. the problem is finding someone who will take them. The vet I went to for a check up gave me a list of people to call all over the state for rehab purposes should Brunswick get stressed out. I call them all that same day just to get opinions on her situation: half of the numbers were disconnected, half of the people "quit", and more commonly, I get connected to a ridiculous phone tree message system where I had to call 5 or more numbers just to be connected to a number of a person who tells me to keep her through the fall and winter for a (self?) release in the spring. I believe out of the dozen or so people I called over the course of the day, she was the only one willing to talk about cottontails. What I would really like is for someone to teach her how to be a "real" bunny before she gets released, since she won't have access to things like delicious banana peels coming off my breakfast banana in the wild. That's my main concern really. She lounges long-bunny style over my heating grates when she's cold. She eats banana peels and other yummy treats Lady and the Tramp style with me when I'm not paying attention to whats going on with the other end of my food. She has learned to play catch for tasty tidbits. She has the Bunny 500s with binkies every night with an added bonus round of using my reclined form as an obstacle course. And she uses her clever little cottontail brain to trick and outsmart my not-quite-as-brilliant Flemish (my poor confused Sedgewick has quite a learning curve... it must be because her brain is still trying to grow into her body! LOL!! ). Right now she is in a contented little bunny-loaf watching me type and dosing off under a blanket. I can hear her teeth purring from over here X3. It's just that I think her instincts are slowly catching up with her and I don't want her to be unprepared when she's released. (I can just see her hopping up to people and making off with their lunches and stealing unattended candy... XD) If I can find someone who could re-acclimate her to the wild, that would be great!

Alternatively, I could indulge her sweet tooth by letting her go on campus where she can fulfill her secret desire to be a dexterously-challenged trash-squirrel...

She might not mind that actually...:jumpforjoy:

Anyways, if anyone knows someone near the University of Iowa that will teach Brunswick how to be a good wild bunny, that would be GREAT! If that's the case, she could let her go now to learn those behaviors that will prepare her for a Spring release (even though I'm getting all misty-eyed typing that, but I want her to be happy). Alternatively, if all any "authority" is going to do is simply release her somewhere as soon as they get her without any training, I much rather do that myself during the Spring when food is abundant and she won't freeze to death (already have a spot picked out and everything!). The funny thing is, you'd think that the UofI Raptor and Wildlife Center would be a good place to start... but last I checked, you'd be wrong...

theres someone on the forum who has a wild rabbit whose fixed and everything and happy, just not personable like the domesticated.

on the contrary, Hazel is very personable and loving, just not to other rabbits. But she most certainly loves her human family.

She is however a Western Cottontail, and I have no idea how an Eastern one would do in comparison.

im sure their from the same family but i dont know enough about wild rabbits in general to say

you also raised Hazel from a baby? I don't think they've had this one from really young. But maybe after being fixed it would calm down a bit

Alternatively, if all any "authority" is going to do is simply release her somewhere as soon as they get her without any training, I much rather do that myself during the Spring when food is abundant and she won't freeze to death (already have a spot picked out and everything!). -- BouncingBunnyBrunswick

-----------

I understand completely. From previous experience and rehabilitating numerous eastern cottontails, not all persons are compassionate to do the proper thing. Many see these gentle and intelligent creatures as disposable, and *will not* seek out the proper release site and environment. I've seen it happen before. At the shelter....
People unknowingly letting them go in open environment where a hawk or predator can snatch them up in less than an hour. 24 hours.

Good luck to you and the little one you saved from being mauled by a cat. I've seen an eastern cottontail be "un-imprinted" over time. That cottontail is going on age 5 which is astounding, considering eastern cottontails typically don't survive in the wild past age 2. A wildlife rehabilitator kept a tripod cottontail (with permission) after his leg was sheared off in a field incident. Plus I am familiar with a few persons who had a cottontail for numerous years, before they knew of the laws. They did not get sick as the cottontail was young when taken into their care.

I have heard of the general public being alarmed to call for help for a cottontail, because of the fear of rabies. I don't want to approach the rabbit -- because I could get rabies...!!!!

I commend you for doing what's best for the cottontail -- and keeping her out of harm's way. Find a wildlife rehabilitator who can gradually reaquaint the fellow to living in the wild. Seeking her/his own food, and staying hidden from overhead and land dwelling predators.

Thank You for Giving that mauled-cat survivor a chance to wild up and return to her natural habitat with say on his chances of surviving several more years in the wild.
FOR not letting that cottontail become raptor food or other things!! Some persons are quick to make that call. Not all are role models for caring for the lagomorph species.

Hope this helps,

Another note on releasing in original birthplace territory... doesn't always become possible, yet as rehabilitators we strived to do this. An eastern cottontail babe born in our neighborhood was released in a community with Plenty of Protective habitat, miles away.
The property owner sees the e/c with her friends in his backyard. She has come to learn hiding underneath evergreens and brush piles, in denser cover. She allows him to watch her, and her buddies ;-), as they snack on the apples and greens in his yard. Orphaned here, two properties, away, and thriving very well after release at 4-5 weeks. ~ She's the smart gal who would stack the aluminum pie plates on top of each other, when she hid in the evergreen bushes, and my friend would supply wintertime supplements (on a pie tin slid underneath the front bushes) in frigid weather.

~ :) She'll turn 2 this July, her mom (who reacclimated to her wild nature, will turn 5 in June). I'm going to check the calendar & archived notes; is it 5 or will Beeler J turn 6 in June??

Most folks are gung ho at releasing at 3-4 weeks, and we were educated to keep them a tad longer, if warranted, to gain a bit more size to deter a Cooper's hawk from plucking them. It depends on their instincts and 2) do they zoom about in their temporary (rehab) captive quarters with a high probability of breaking their necks when bouncing about to be set free?

It comes down to whether a human sees them as disposable and not worth the effort to save.
HTH,

Randy, it'd be beneficial if you could keep a teaching cottontail, versus a stand-in domestic. Certainly understand the pros and cons. Under observation in a safe environment, not living in stress from predators closeby, they have much to teach us! The bunny binkies of an eastern cottontail just make you grin.

Funny how most people can't tell the difference... which is how agoutis came into our rescue when the general public didn't recognize the difference between domestic and eastern cottontail. Or care,

Thumbs up, and best of luck to Brunswick!

My previous post has been deleted.

But if you are releasing it into the wild, you NEED to check your state laws. Letting things be free is great and all, but certain states it is illegal to release animals back out. There are numerous species in ohio that can't be returned, and for good reason. They can pick up numerous things from your home that harm other wildlife.

I'm just putting that out there before you yourself release it.

Latest posts

Back