Easter is almost upon us. Lets try to educate people thinking about "easter bunnies"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think this is one of the saddest things I have ever read. It makes me think of all the little babies who are out there right now that will be sold at easter. Please try to educate anyone that falls inlove with your pet rabbits. Rabbits are not for everyone and people need to learn all they can before bringing one home. Thank you

In memory of all the bunnies we couldn't save.

I remember Easter Sunday

It was colorful and fun

The new life that I'd begun

In my new cage.

I was just a little thing

When they brought me from the store

And they put me on the floor

In my cage.

They would take me out to play

Love and pet me all the time

Then at day's end I would climb

In my cage.

But as days and weeks went by

I saw less of them it seemed

Of their loving touch I dreamed

In my cage.

In the night outside their house

I felt sad and so neglected

Often scared and unprotected

In my cage.

In the dry or rainy weather

Sometimes hotter sometimes colder

I just sat there growing older

In my cage.

The cat and dog raced by me

Playing with each other only

While I sat there feeling lonely

In my cage.

Upon the fresh green grass

Children skipped and laughed all day

I could only watch them play

From my cage.

They used to take me out

And let me scamper in the sun

I no longer get to run

In my cage.

Once a cute and cuddly bunny

Like a little ball of cotton

Now I'm grown up and forgotten

In my cage.

I don't know what went wrong

At the home I did inhabit

I just grew to be a rabbit

In my cage.

But they've brought me to the pound

I was once loved and enjoyed

Now I wait to be destroyed

In my cage

I know I can't read that, I just skipped ahead. But yes, it is important that we all do our part to educate people. I am taking the opportunity to do my part in my public speaking class: my first speech (this Wednesday) will be "What Really Happens to the Easter Bunny", complete with photos.

And I just sent out our newsletter with an article on why not to buy rabbits, not to patronize stores that sell them, with links to rabbit adoption places. 1000 people will get that, for what it will help. So that is 1023 people I'm telling!

Good for you Eileen your doing a wonderful thing. I just had Fraggles in my lap and she was showering me in kisses. She most likely just wanted a craison (which she got) but I can't imagine her being at a pound were nobody wants her.

My daughter and I were at a local pet store yesterday. We like to stop in pet stores just to look at different animals, talk about what kind of care they need, etc. There were four Holland Lops there, which is the breed we are planning to get. We are going to start seriously looking for a bunny after Easter, and I wondered if we would see any of those four bunnies again- in a rescue because someone made an "impulse buy". I wondered how many people would see those four bunnies in their tiny cage and assume they don't need much room. About 3 weeks ago, there were 2 different Hollands there, and I wonder what happened to those two. :(

Yes. If your looking for a bunny about six weeks after easter is a good time to hit the shelters. Just by saving one of these "easter bunnies" threw education or adoption is a wonderful deed. You might very well meet one of those lops again. Plus that's a good point most people think that rabbits don't need much room or that outdoor hutches are suitable.

I couldn't get through the poem without crying. I placed an ad in our local site Kijiji and I begged people to not get bunnies for their children at easter. I told them the care and attention bunnies needed. This was right after I saw yet another ad stating, " Bunnies ready just in time for Easter" I was so upset, I had to do something in some small way.

If a family goes into this informed - not an impulse buy - then I'm not against them buying abunny at Easter. When I was a kid many five and dime stores had not only rabbits, but chicks that had been colored with food dye. I will admit that my parents succumbed to our pleas and got us chicks, but because I don't think we knew how to care for them properly they ended up dying.Places may not sellchicks like they use to, andI realize this is a rabbit forum, but I feel sorry for those little guys at Easter, too. :(

Good for you. Yes the poem is heartbreaking after reading it I loved on my girl until she got mad a foot flicked me back to her cage. I have been very tempted to forward the poem to all the easter bunny breeders on craigslist.

I am currently holding an Easter Bunny for a family. I got her from someone who knew nothing about rabbits. Her mom gave her daughter 2 rabbits last year, they turned out to be brother and sister. Now she has a littler of unwanted babies that are big enough to rehome and I have the buck and 1 of the babies. I sexed the babies for her so she can rehome them, one is a buck and I let her know she needs to have him gone or caged separate by the end of April or she may have more babies.
It breaks my heart when someone gets rabbits but does not bother to take the time to learn about them.
The "Easter Bunny" I am holding comes with the agreement that I will take it back at any time. No pounds,no killing...and they will be getting a care sheet on how to handle and feed/water it.

Back