easing bunny pains for them

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleboo

Reaction score
My poor baby bunny has come home today after spending a night in the vets last night. He has been ill for a few days now and not eating, has really bad diarrhea or no poops at all! The vets took a feces sample off to the lab and we'll get it back at the end of the week to see what the cause of this terrible bug is! T he vetdid say he has all the symptoms of coccidiosis. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew any home-help of easing his tummy pains as I know it's really hurting him? He is just hunched up in a ball grinding his teeth loads!

Any replies appreciated asI hate seeing him in this awful pain. xx

Wow....it sounds like he is in a lot ofpain. Poor thing. Unfortunately, pain killers cando more damage that good when it comes to something likethis. If your bunny is not eating, I would immediately getsome Critical Care from your vet and start syringing it tohim. Your bun needs a jump start. If you don't haveCritical Care in the UK, use canned pumpkin. You need to putsomething in his stomach ASAP.

He may be in pain because of gas. In that case, usesimethicone. It's a baby gas formula you can buy at justabout any drug store.

This isnt a complete pain reliever, but it helps relive stomach ailments..

if you can just find plain dried chammomile flowers in your localsupermarket (they are usually in the ethic aisle) steep them for aminute in boiling water then strain out the flowers and you can givethe plain tea to your bunny (cold of course)

or if you can find plain regular decaf chammonile tea, but make sure there arent any funky additives..

mint tea also helps with stomach ailments as well

The poor Punkin! :sad:

You can give him a little bayer aspirin or baby aspirin. I'llsay a prayer for him. I hate to hear he's in suchpain.

:bigtears:

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S. Make sure he stays hydrated withthat diarrhea. Pedialyte or gatorade can help replenish theelectrolytes lost. If you have Critical Care, as Lissapointed out, it would help to hopefully boost his immunesystem.

I feel terrible for him - and you.

:pray:

ive never heard of any of those names of thingsto help him before. are they just in usa as im in the uk? i dont wantto give him the wrong foods incase it makes his tummy ache worse. he isdrinking but not alot and the vet has given me the liquid medicinetogive himthrough syringe. also the vet is onlygiving him 1 week to recover from this bug on this treatment as he saidits cruel to let him suffer:tears2:

if he doesnt recover within 1 week then he wont get better. he has alsogot pasteurella which he's always had since birth. hes suffering quitea bit and he really doesnt deserve this as hes only 12weeks old blesshim:bigtears:

please all pray for him to get better :pray:

Oh Littleboo, :sad:

I'm so sorry the little guy is going through this.

You bet you have prayers going out from here. Critical Careis the same thing as our NutriCal. Bayer isa typeof aspirin, but baby aspirin has been known to relieve somepain.

My heart goes out to you and your little guy.

-Carolyn

littleboo wrote:
the vet has given me the liquid medicine togivehimthrough syringe.
What is the name of this medicine? Is it metaclopromide (sp)?

Poor little bunny. Hang in there! :pray:

If you want to get him the Simethicone (baby gasmedication), you can look in a drug store, and find the baby gasmedications, and check the ingredients. Find one where themedicinal ingredient is Simethicone.

Good luck to you and the baby.

*prayers*

I hate reading posts like this -- it doesn't sound like you have a rabbit savvy vet.

You need to keep him pain free, gas free, warm and hydrated no matter what the cause. The vet should have given him a shot of a pain killer, the baby gas meds, fluids under the skin and wrappedhim on a low heat heating pad, and had you continue that treatment at home.

The thought that the bunny might be suffering thismuch for the day much less the weekis almost criminal.

I'm so sorry both of you are going through this. :(

Radar wrote:
Thevet should have given him a shot of a pain killer, the baby gas meds,fluids under the skin and wrappedhim on a low heat heatingpad, and had you continue that treatment at home.
I have to respectfully disagree with the firtst part of yourstatement. Pain killers are known to cause temporary anorexiain rabbits. Giving a pain killer to a rabbit that is alreadyin stasis is only going to make things worse.

Lissa wrote:
Radar wrote:
The vet shouldhave given him a shot of a pain killer, the baby gas meds, fluids underthe skin and wrappedhim on a low heat heating pad, and hadyou continue that treatment at home.
I have to respectfully disagree with the firtst part of yourstatement. Pain killers are known to cause temporary anorexiain rabbits. Giving a pain killer to a rabbit that is alreadyin stasis is only going to make things worse.
That's where the quick diagnosis is crucial, but it really sounds a lotmore like bloat than stasis, and if that's the case, its the painthatis the biggest threat.Theteethgrinding and hunchingmeans he's in seriouspain. It will send him into shock.Thestasis is only the effect(after the diarrhea),not the cause. Its a tough call, but under the circumstances,I'd take the chance. Poor little guy is critical.

Radar wrote:
Itsa tough call, but under the circumstances, I'd take thechance. Poor little guy is critical.
If it were me, I would not take that chance.

Lissa wrote:
Hemay be in pain because of gas. In that case, usesimethicone. It's a baby gas formula you can buy at justabout any drug store.
Prayers and good thoughts sent your way!!

The simethicone will not harm the bun and may help alieviate gas pains.It won't get rid of the gas, but will make all of the little bubblesform into one bubble that may be easier for the bun to pass.

Its all so complicated.Metaclopromide is a gut stimulant, so if GI slowdownis the main problem, then it will help, but if there's a complete blockage, it can hurt. But stasis is a symptom, not the problem in most cases, especially when it startedwith diarrhea and coccidiosis is suspected. (Thevet may be right about that, but it sounds like he's used to treating dogs and cats, which have a slower rate of decline and aren't as affected by pain and dehydration).

Bunnies don't eat when they're in pain, so its sort of a chicken or the egg syndrome. Maybe a bunny in pain that's just going into stasisshouldn't be treated for the pain before being treated for the stasis, but in cases where the pain is a cause of the appetite loss (like post op, bloat, etc),pain meds are crucial. (The gas meds are great no matter what, because as Jim said, they can't hurt but they can help).

Seeing as stasis is the most common problem, people are quick to treat it, which can be a good thing, but there's a world of difference between trying to get your bunny to eat its favourite sugary or leafy treats to get the gut moving, and withholding all food except hay and water, which is best for bloat (which is also a symptom, not a cause) and other ailments, so it's important to know what you're treating and why the problem is happening.

It'stough without a clear diagnosis.My main point was that this bunny maynot have a week for the vet to figure it out.

In the meantime, I'm of the opinion you have to very closelymonitor the rabbit's temperature,gut sounds, stomach extension, pain level, etc., treat the symptoms,keep him hydrated, warm, and hope for the best.

If anyone has other views on this, I'd like to hear them.

Radar wrote:
Bunnies don't eat when they're in pain, so its sort of achicken or the egg syndrome. Maybe a bunny in pain that'sjust going into stasisshouldn't be treated for the painbefore being treated for the stasis, but in cases where the pain is acause of the appetite loss (like post op, bloat, etc),painmeds are crucial. (The gas meds are great no matter what,because as Jim said, they can't hurt but they can help).

I agree. From what I have read, rabbits with both gas orstasis do better on pain meds, because it is often the lack of painthat will get them eating again after the underlying symptoms have beentreated. Rabbits in pain will rarely eat.

Although it doesn't sound like your vet is very caring.Rabbits with pasteurella can live long lives if they are properlytreated. Yes, it takes multiple treatments throughout theyears, but the choice to carry that financial burden (which is usuallythe main issue) is yours and not your vet's. Whatever thecause for his current health issue, your rabbit will most likely stillbe dealing with it a week from now, as any sort of GI distress oftenhas a long recovery time. A week is too short to choose forthat kind of time limit.

Lissa wrote:
Radar wrote:
The vet shouldhave given him a shot of a pain killer, the baby gas meds, fluids underthe skin and wrappedhim on a low heat heating pad, and hadyou continue that treatment at home.
I Have to agree with Lissa , Pain medsright now where as the rabbit isnt eatingis only going to compound the problem, This littleRabbit has enough going on without adding anything more to it . thatsaid Littleboo , Do You know what the meds werethe Vet gave You ? Itcould have very well have beenCritical care for all we know , Try theBaby gas meds as soon as youcan .

I do Have to ask where as the Little onewas born with the PasturellaVirus , hashe been on AntiBiotics for a length of time ?, Poor little guy has certainly hadit very rough for sucha short period of time .

This may not be a case of a Poor Vet , this maybebacklash from medications givento correct an on goingMedical problem. Ask Your vet to do SubQ fluids ,he will know what your talking about ,keeping him hydrated while sorting outthe eating and pain issue is a must . Itmight be to advantage to copy some ofthe Stasis threads in the TopPicks thread , and Show these to your Vet, He may be at the end ofknowing how to proceed and mayget More Ideas from the posts .

Sweety I will pray for theLittle one ,Please keep us posted as to how heis doing .

Latest posts

Back