Early Ejaculation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrizzy97

Reaction score
Hello!

I am worried about my baby bunny's urinary tract. He is a rex rabbit and only 8 weeks old. He has been letting out white stuff (picture attached below) on different parts of the house. I have been noticing this every so often since he was 6 weeks old. It looks like early ejaculation, however I thought that he was much to young for that. Please tell me if this is abnormal or normal in baby male bunnies. I just want to make sure that my baby does not have a urinary tract infection.

Thank you!

Attachments

• rabbit.jpg
    rabbit.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
I don't think that is ejaculation because pee dries white. I suggest you litter train him and that won't be an issue. He will need to be neutered at the earliest age of 12 weeks because he will go into his "teen stage". They become very destructive, won't litter train, and are a real pain. You need to rabbit-proof if you have not yet.

The white color often tells that the bunny get too much calcium to it’s diet. What do you feed your bunny?

His diet is a combination of alfalfa hay and Timothy hay, and about a quarter cup of pellets. I didn’t want to give him just alfalfa, because while he is growing and needs the extra carbs, it is also high in sugar, so I try to fix the two. Alfalfa hay has calcium in it though right? Maybe it’s from that?

Alfalfa hay have more calcium in it, too much calcium can make it collect in the urin. If you are unlucky the bunny can get kidney stones.

Myself never feed my bunnies alfalfa hay as kits they only get timothy hay and an alfalfa based pellets instead ^^

Thank you so much, I think I’m going to take alfalfa hay out of my bunnies diet. How would I know if my bunny were to show signs of kidney stones or even signs of pain? I’m a new bunny mom, so I’m always learning, that is why any advice and information is greatly appreciated!!

Signs of a kidney stone would be blood in the urine, and signs of pain would be sitting hunched up (like the rabbit in the picture) and tooth grinding.

Attachments

• 2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
Thank you so much, I think I’m going to take alfalfa hay out of my bunnies diet. How would I know if my bunny were to show signs of kidney stones or even signs of pain? I’m a new bunny mom, so I’m always learning, that is why any advice and information is greatly appreciated!!

First signs are the urine with sludging of calcium. It’s early warning signs that the bunny get too much. As long you prevent and don’t give a calcium rich diet, the chances of a bunny getting kidney stones is minimum.

There are a few veggies for later you should not give a lot because they cause Ca to build up in urine or make it collect.

The pain signs is what @Mariam+Theo, the bunny can also get behavior changes.
https://rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

Rabbits excrete excess dietary calcium in their urine. That's what you're seeing. It's likely once you remove the alfalfa hay it should improve significantly. A little calcium sediment is normal, you just don't want there to be a lot.

Your bunny is young so it's unlikely any other issues will have developed from this.The most common signs of pain are reduced appetite and unusual lethargy . So as long as he is eating, drinking, pooping, and behaving normally then it's likely he's just fine.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Back