Ear wax or ear mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutLover

Reaction score
Hello, today while I was combing my bunny I did my usually inspection of his body and notices his ears were a bit dry on the edges and proceeded to look inside his ear where I saw a tiny bit of ear wax. I went on google but everywhere was telling me that it’s ear mites. I don’t know if it is ear mites but I already called the vet and I have an appointment tomorrow. Can someone tell me if they think this is ear mites or just regular wax. He’s my only bunny and I don’t understand how this could have happened. Thank you

Attachments

• 31CA2B4C-ED47-4F19-B486-A1837A61AB5D.png
    31CA2B4C-ED47-4F19-B486-A1837A61AB5D.png
    567.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 208F63DD-7E38-4CA4-9509-DB9564E3A348.png
    208F63DD-7E38-4CA4-9509-DB9564E3A348.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 16
Ear wax is normal in lop eared rabbits, I think. However, I’ve never owned one so I don’t know how to clean it. It also could be mites, have you seen any other symptoms of it. As for cleaning them, @Hermelin night be able to help?

All of my buns are lops, and they do get wax in the side channel, that happens. I don't know about the "dry ear edge" though. Is his skin flaking and scabby, does he scratch it a lot? Any fur loss, not just moulting? If not, i think that it's just wax, gently cleaning it off with a q tip should be enough.
As you're going to the vet soon (or already been, i don't know) it is best to let them check it out and maybe sample the dark stuff in there. My buns' wax never got so dark...

I would also suspect ear mites but you seem to have appointment to check the ears. Myself only have wax problems with my lop and need regular cleaning with ear wash otherwise I’m stuck with an ear inflammation.

You should never use q-tip to clean ears, it’s the same rule for humans. Because you can accidently hurt the ear or push the vax down causing wax build up further down in the ear. You can use q-tip to take out wax after you do a ear wash which will make the wax come up. But the vet will tell you the treatment and what to do ☺️

I would also suspect ear mites but you seem to have appointment to check the ears. Myself only have wax problems with my lop and need regular cleaning with ear wash otherwise I’m stuck with an ear inflammation.

You should never use q-tip to clean ears, it’s the same rule for humans. Because you can accidently hurt the ear or push the vax down causing wax build up further down in the ear. You can use q-tip to take out wax after you do a ear wash which will make the wax come up. But the vet will tell you the treatment and what to do ☺
Yes! I have an appointment. How do ear mites happen exactly? He’s the only bunny I have and he’s a free roam and never goes outside. I won’t touch the wax in his ears as I have an appointment soon and I want them to see it. Thank you for the advice!

All of my buns are lops, and they do get wax in the side channel, that happens. I don't know about the "dry ear edge" though. Is his skin flaking and scabby, does he scratch it a lot? Any fur loss, not just moulting? If not, i think that it's just wax, gently cleaning it off with a q tip should be enough.
As you're going to the vet soon (or already been, i don't know) it is best to let them check it out and maybe sample the dark stuff in there. My buns' wax never got so dark...
He’s not a lop :( which is why I’m worried. No his skin is super nice and soft, his hair is always combed nicely I de shed him all the time to make sure GI stasis never happens. He’s not scratching at all and there’s no fur loss at all :/. I feel like it is dried up wax and so it took on a darker colour. Thank you so much for the advice I will update you after his vet appointment this week

Ear wax is normal in lop eared rabbits, I think. However, I’ve never owned one so I don’t know how to clean it. It also could be mites, have you seen any other symptoms of it. As for cleaning them, @Hermelin night be able to help?
He’s not a lop eared bunny :( he’s A Netherland dwarf bunny with Straight up ears. I don’t really see any symptoms besides the wax in the ear. I will keep monitoring it. Thank you for the advice!

Yes! I have an appointment. How do ear mites happen exactly? He’s the only bunny I have and he’s a free roam and never goes outside. I won’t touch the wax in his ears as I have an appointment soon and I want them to see it. Thank you for the advice!

You can also have gotten an ear inflammation, but mites can come from the outside by an indirect contact. I hope everything goes well with your boy and you find out what causing the extra ear wax. It’s not that common for upright eared bunnies to get wax problems, the reason why I prefer them 😊

He’s not a lop eared bunny :( he’s A Netherland dwarf bunny with Straight up ears. I don’t really see any symptoms besides the wax in the ear. I will keep monitoring it. Thank you for the advice!
Ah okay. I’d definitely take him to that appointment. Wax isn’t all too common in up eared bunnies, I don’t think.

Ah okay. I’d definitely take him to that appointment. Wax isn’t all too common in up eared bunnies, I don’t think.
Update: the vet gave us anti-parasitic medicine to give him and also an ear cleaner for the wax :) changed his whole living area and sterilized/disinfected the whole room he stays in. He has two more treatments to do ever 21 days and he should be good by then!

You can also have gotten an ear inflammation, but mites can come from the outside by an indirect contact. I hope everything goes well with your boy and you find out what causing the extra ear wax. It’s not that common for upright eared bunnies to get wax problems, the reason why I prefer them 😊
Update: the vet gave us anti-parasitic medicine to give him and also an ear cleaner for the wax :) changed his whole living area and sterilized/disinfected the whole room he stays in. He has two more treatments to do ever 21 days and he should be good by then!

Latest posts

Back