Ear mites?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that indoor rabbits can get ear mites. Mine are indoor rabbits and they had ear mites. Before I moved to Erlands Point Apartments here in Bremerton, my rabbits got to play outside whenever it wasn't nasty out.

So yes, indoor rabbits can get ear mites.

Couple of thoughts here. Oil based "treatments" are old school, ineffective and in some cases can lead to infections. Anything used in the ear ofa rabbit, especially with lops, should have a drying agent to prevent moisture from accumulating in the ear. The oil will sometimes suffocate the live mites but do nothing about the eggs. The best treatment for ear mites is a product called Acarexx. It is a type of modified Ivermectin. It is designed to penetrate the mite dirt and is effective long term....only one application needed.

Ecto-parasites can come into your home on greens or you. We bring many parasites inside on our shoes. Should you ever have a chance to go behind the scenes at a major zoo or aquarium....you either wear booties or walk thru a "bug rug" to control the transmittal of parasites. You get these parasites by walking thru grass that has been visited by infested wildlife....and regardless of what you think, it's a rare yard that doesn't have wildlife visiting especially at night.

Randy

Back