Ear infection - ear drops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordiwes

Reaction score
Hi,

At our last trip to the vet, Wesley had his ears cleaned. The vet said that if his ears were still itchy after that, to come back and get ear drops - he could have a yeast infection in his ears. I have not read anything about ear drops for an ear infection.

The only symptom is Wesley scratching his left ear. I cannot see any signs of mites.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My Drizzle had a ear infection (only head shaking, scratching, and redness) and he was put on Baytril OTIC ear drops. They're cheaper on 1800PetMeds than at the pharmacy.

herman had an ear infection when i brought him home. . .

the vet gave me gentam/betameths/clortrm otic 15 ml drops to give him.

i still have over 1/2 a tube left and the vet said to keep it on hand for the next time (apparently rabbits are like kids: once they start getting ear infections, they are more likely to reget them again and again. . . i am yet to see this proved)

herman had no redness at first. . . he just shook his head, scratched his ear, and it was very sensitive (it hurt him to let me touch it). it didn't get red untill i started putting the drops in really (it was slightly red from him scratching it. . . but nothing extensive). the drops at first caused him pain. . . they itched and bothered him for the first 3 days. . . then after that it didn't get bad.

when i brought him into the vet, the vet let me look in his ears with their little tool that they use. . . yuck. . . how nasty. . . it was all red down in there and pussy. . .eewww. . .

My kitty Eve was scratching her ear last week,and the vet said it was a minor yeast infection. I was given an ear cleaning fluid to use on her ears daily, and it fixed the problem.

You need to know what the infection is first as there are lots of ear treatments....most of the meds are the same ones used for cats & dogs. I have about 5 types myslef for different problems.

Thanks guys. We have an appointment for Monday.Wesley hasn't seemed bothered for the last couple of days but we should go anyways. I'm also going to get Jordi checked for mites again. I think they may have come back... she has an itchy butt.

Back