Ear in Water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

Reaction score
It's been a warm here....We have the air conditioner on but it's still 78F. We gave both the buns frozen water bottles but they aren't too interested. Our new sweetheart Murphy decided he would lay right next to his water bowl with one of his ears in it! Does anyone else's bunny do this? Is it ok? Just wondering:)

Yes it's fine:) Rabbit's regulate their temperature through their ears so he was probably just trying to cool off! Buddy does it all the time!
~Megan

Many rabbits will hang over the water dish in an attempt to cool themselves. Watch for continually wet dewlaps which can develop bacterial infections due to the constant moisture.

Fans can be blow on rabbits during hot days. This helps to evaporate the moisture as they breath (their primary cooling mechanism).

Here's an article I wrote on heat stress in rabbits . . .

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/heatstress.pdf

Pam

Thanks everyone, I assumed that was what he was doing I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't any health problems because of it. There was a good size storm today and thankfully its a lot cooler today and everyone seems a lot happier because of it!

I duno if you have anything like tht over in the US but ive got this water bottle cooler thing that keeps it cool in the summer and stops it freezing over in the winter. Ive found it really useful :)

Latest posts

Back