Ear gunk - Now I am paranoid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HipsidyNLydia

Reaction score
Description (Breed, color, weight) - Lydia, Flemish Giant, sandy, at least 10lbs and growing

Age - 6-8 months

Sex - female (not spayed)

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: She has waxy buildup in her ears. The back of her neck has a few scratches on it, I think they are from her foot and not from her late buddy. She is not scratching frequently, just on occasion. Most of her time is spent chilling in front of the fan we have near her cage.

She is pooping and peeing normally, both in frequency and place in cage. Her bedding is paper.

She is not spayed (yet), and has never been sick. She is solid and appears very healthy.

She eats like a horse, and is downing pellets, hay, lettuce, and the occasional carrot. She never refuses food. Drinking well too.

She appears to be moving normally and displays her usual amount of curiosity.

Her cage mate died yesterday, and she had pneumonia. Her cage mate, at the time of death, also appears to have had a bloody crust down in her ears that was draining. The other rabbit probably had a chronic problem, and at no time during Hipsidy's time with her did Lydia ever show signs of illness.

It sounds like she may have mites in her fur and/or ears. Hipsidy may have had an advanced ear mite infection, and Lydia may also have gotten the ear mites. Since she's itching around her neck too, that's a common sign of fur mites. She should be dosed with Advantage or Revolution. Do not use Frontline.

Thank you, sorry not to get back more quickly, my family just left town this morning and we have been busy with them. I will look into that for Lydia, she is doing good thus far following her buddy's passing. Been getting extra carrots and she really liked it when my mom would scratch her between the eyes (weird rabbit, I thought many didn't like that area to be messed with, but she would sit still for it and seemed to like it). But I will get her treated today for sure.

All of my bunnies like to have the place between their eyes petted--it's how bunnies groom each other. Glad to hear that she'll be getting some help.

Back