ear ablation surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novalis

Reaction score
I have been getting bicillin injections for an ear infection for six months, but they haven't cured the infection. Today the vet recommended that I get ear ablation surgery. She said the success rate is 90% and the risks are low. Is that true? Does the infection often come back? I am five and a half years old and otherwise very healthy. Would you recommend the surgery for me?

Be nice to have more details. Surgery is usually the last resort. The procedure is more successful than in years past. I would like to know what has been identified as the cause of the infection....it doesn't have to be bacterial. Also, many vets do not properly dose Penicillin as they still use old information. And it is possible to use a "cocktail" of drugs against certain types of infections. I have had lots of success in treating vestibular infections. It becomes challenging when the infection moves from the ear to the brain stem. And it is possible that a genetic issue in the ear will require surgery. With as much detail about your condition as possible, we can possibly offer some suggestions to discuss with your doctor.

Randy

I am a Mini Lop, 5 lbs. 9 oz., diagnosed with ear infections in both ears at the beginning of January. The vet said they had probably been there for some time and gone unnoticed. I had no symptoms then and have never had any symptoms. First she gave us antibiotic eardrops, which we tried for a month, but they didn't work at all. Then she taught my mommy to give me bicillin injections, and she did that every evening for a couple of weeks, but then I went into stasis, so we stopped for a week and the vet said we should give the shots once every three days instead. I got checked a couple of times and the vet said it looked like it was getting better. At the end of May she said we should finish the course of antibiotic shots and come back in, and if it was gone we could stop the shots. So we went in yesterday, but she said it wasn't gone, and recommended the surgery. She said the infection hadn't changed since May.
Also, she cultured it and it came up as staph, but she said that was inconclusive because she could only culture the pus, and she thought pasteurella was likely to be present underneath the pus.
The infection went away in my left ear, although the ear canal is stenotic and she can't see down it. She would only operate on the right ear. She said my hearing is probably impaired, but I still have a blink reflex, which means the infection hasn't penetrated into the middle ear (I think).
The right ear is also stenotic and she can't see how far down the infection goes. She just sees pus.

There are still antibiotics available that can be tried before doing surgery. Convenia is a good injectible, given approx every 5 days in rabbits. Another good one is azithromycin. I am a bit concerned about your vet because the protocol for bicillin is that it should be given every other day, 150K units for bunnies under 5lb, and 300k units for bunnies over 5lb. These other antibiotics can be used more than one at once (ideally oral + injectible) as well.

Latest posts

Back