e cuniculi/head tilt treatment/EC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam O Ham

Reaction score
hi all! Going to try to keep this story short. A few months ago I got a little lionhead from the local shelter. He's probably less than a year old at this point, unfixed and an absolute sweetheart of a little dude. About a month after getting him, I ended up having to take a surprise trip for a week and boarded him with the local vet. A little over a week after I got him back, his eating dropped off, poops got small, etc. He wanted to eat but would start on a strand of hay and then spit it out. I was worried he'd hurt himself or a tooth because he'd recently taken a panicked jump off the bed. Took him to an exotic vet this time. They put him under briefly, checked his teeth, took x-rays of his head and did a blood test. The vet couldn't see anything wrong with the xrays or his teeth but did say that his test came back positive for EC. The vet said that the pressure can build up in their heads and make it uncomfortable to eat (paraphrasing). She had me put him on Fenbendazole, SMZ and Trimethoprim, and Meloxicam. He's been on them for six weeks and we've got one more to go before we're done. He got back on his food almost immediately, poops went back to normal, has always been super energetic and bouncy and there are plans to get him fixed so that he can end his pining long distance relationship with my slippers after he's off the meds. My question is two pronged.

1. the big question. I ran out of Meloxicam about a week ago. The vet said that it was fine if he was off it and to keep up the other two meds. Thing is his poops dropped to horrifyingly small sizes the first two mornings he was off it and while they're almost back to normal now, and I didn't notice him having any problems eating, I've noticed he's shaking his head a lot (compared to the never of since he's been on his meds). Messing with his ears was one of the first things I noticed him doing after I got him back from boarding even before his food intake dropped off (and now I know its one of the symptoms). I started him back on the Meloxi today so we'll see if that makes a difference but I'm lost as to whether this means he still needs the anti-inflamation in the Meloxi after all these weeks or whether its possible something else is wrong, its the pain med part he needs and we missed something that has nothing to do with EC. I know no one's psychic here but thoughts/speculations about what it might be or what I should check?

2. I've never had a rabbit with EC before and internet searching is helpful and horrifying and I feel like what I do find is sparse on details. We haven't had any signs of head tilt. There was excessive peeing but its down to normal now that he's on the meds. I'm under the impression that this is a lifelong thing and stress can trigger flare ups. He's a single bun but I gather that he's pretty much contagious for the rest of his life. And humans (me) may or may not be able to catch it (how would I even know if I did)? I know this is a big group. Can anyone that's lived with a bun with EC give me some tips on what I can expect from this point out? (and frankly, are those medications the best ones for him? I've got exactly ONE exotic vet to chose from in the area and they seem to know what they're doing but so did my last exotic vet before I moved that missed my last rabbit having molar spurs for over a year). I know I'm kind of scatter shotting on this and I'm sorry. I'm not a new rabbit mom but EC is entirely new to me and I want to do the very best, and be prepared for things, as much as I possibly can. Thanks for any help. You all have always been big helps whenever I come darting in full of worries about bunny issues.

Samwise the (Very) Brave picture

Attachments

• IMG_2023-01-18-17-29-20-926.jpg
    IMG_2023-01-18-17-29-20-926.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
A positive EC blood test, can just mean your rabbit has had asymptotic EC and now has antibodies. Doesn't necessarily mean an active infection. Based on your rabbits pain response of reduced appetite once the meloxicam stopped, points to something more going on here. It could be related to EC, but it could also be totally unrelated to the EC findings.

Excessive head shaking and messing with ears, to me would indicate, possibly ear mites, but more likely something like an ear infection, inner ear infection, head abscess/mass, or could still be related to a dental problem, like elongated tooth roots, molar spurs, or tooth infection. Even very good rabbit vets can sometimes miss things in a dental exam, because that mouth is so small and can be difficult to get a good look at.

Just based on your rabbits symptoms of wanting to eat then spitting the food out after trying to chew it, head shaking, ear scratching, and pain response that pain meds help, I would strongly suspect that a dental problem is still very likely. All of the signs point to this. But it could possibly be something else causing head pain while chewing. Ear infection would be my next guess.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Malocclusion
(LINK CONTAINS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

Though he does carry EC, it may or may not affect him through his life. Some rabbits will never show signs. And it's pretty prevalent in rabbits. More than half of rabbits out there are carriers. It's not very contagious for people. Mostly only people that are immunocompromised are at some risk (though consult with your doctor if you have concerns).

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Encephalitozoon_cuniculi

A positive EC blood test, can just mean your rabbit has had asymptotic EC and now has antibodies. Doesn't necessarily mean an active infection. Based on your rabbits pain response of reduced appetite once the meloxicam stopped, points to something more going on here. It could be related to EC, but it could also be totally unrelated to the EC findings.

Excessive head shaking and messing with ears, to me would indicate, possibly ear mites, but more likely something like an ear infection, inner ear infection, head abscess/mass, or could still be related to a dental problem, like elongated tooth roots, molar spurs, or tooth infection. Even very good rabbit vets can sometimes miss things in a dental exam, because that mouth is so small and can be difficult to get a good look at.

Just based on your rabbits symptoms of wanting to eat then spitting the food out after trying to chew it, head shaking, ear scratching, and pain response that pain meds help, I would strongly suspect that a dental problem is still very likely. All of the signs point to this. But it could possibly be something else causing head pain while chewing. Ear infection would be my next guess.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Malocclusion
(LINK CONTAINS MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

Though he does carry EC, it may or may not affect him through his life. Some rabbits will never show signs. And it's pretty prevalent in rabbits. More than half of rabbits out there are carriers. It's not very contagious for people. Mostly only people that are immunocompromised are at some risk (though consult with your doctor if you have concerns).

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Encephalitozoon_cuniculi
Thank you so much for this JBun! I thought I already answered but apparently it didn't post so I'm sorry for thanking you late. Sam and I have an appointment on Monday with a different vet. We're off the EC meds and not on any pain meds either at the moment. He's eating on his own with a good appetite and so far he's still going strong on the hay but his poops are far too small. Your thoughts make a lot of sense. We've still got head shaking going on. So something's still bothering him. I lost my last rabbit to overgrown tooth roots in her nasal passage so I'm all about being a paranoid mom when it comes to tooth problems. He also seems to be worrying at his right ear more than the left and that ear does have a - yeasty - smell for lack of a better descriptor. I'm hoping the vet tomorrow can pinpoint what's going on so we can get it treated.

Thank you as well for the links about EC. Knowing Sammie can live his best bunny life despite it really helps me worry less. MUCH appreciated!

Latest posts

Back