dwarf hotot does age matter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolew07

Reaction score
so i am going to a breeder next week to pick out my dwarf hotot to bring home. i have been talking to the breeder and most of her rabbits for sale are under a year old. there is also one that is 2 or 3 years old but she says that one is the sweetest and loves people and attention. i want a rabbit that will be really sweet but do you recommend getting one that is already that old? is there anything else i should ask or look for when i go? i cant wait to get one. i know i am getting a buck either way.
thanks for the advice

I would say go for the older one, personally.

First off, you know their personality and what you see is what you get. With some of the younger ones, it can be tough because they can hit puberty and have a personality change (Even after spay/neuter, some of them aren't quite the same).

I would also ask the breeder for more information on the average lifespan of their rabbits. Ask if they commonly have any problems with teeth, which is pretty common with the dwarf rabbits. And just look for the usual. Check the rabbit over and look for any possible signs of illness (Eyes, nose, mouth, ears, coat, feet, checking for any lumps).

Everyone always wants a baby and this ends up with the older sweeties getting overlooked, it's really a shame.

Are you planning on getting the bun fixed?

Getting an adult rabbit is not necessarily a bad thing. You tend to know what you are getting as far as personality goes. Babies can change as they get older and hormonal, so a sweet baby you take home can turn into something different in a few months. Usually by the time they are about 6 months, you have a good idea on what they will be like.
Since you are going to the breeder and get a choice, I would suggest spending time with a few rabbits to see what they are like. While you are going into to wanting one rabbit, you may find that you are drawn to another.
I don't really consider 2-3 years old to be that old, especially when they can live to be 10 or older. It can be a good age as they are still young and playful, but a bit more mature and act like adults.

Ok great. I had already decided that even if I thought I really wanted one I would still go and see if seeing them in person changed my mind. The breeder said the lifespan tends to be about 8 years which is what I had found when I looked up the breed online. I might be getting it fixed.. not necessarily right away it depends really. I don't have any other pets or rabbits that it will be seeing so I may not get it fixed.

Personally I've only adopted adult rabbits (and all of mine have come already spayed/neutered from shelters or rescues). I've had no problems bonding with them and I like that I can already get a sense of their true personalities.

Definitely no issues with adopting an older bun. 2-3 years is still young enough for you to enjoy alot of years. As others have said, already being passed the teenage hormonal stage is a plus. I still think it's great to go visit them because I truly believe in gut feelings and if you have a pull towards a certain bun go with that! I have experienced both sides, buying a baby and adopting an older bun and they both have pros and cons and offer unique experiences.
Let us know how the visit goes next week and post pictures if you want. We love pics! :)

Definitely no issues with adopting an older bun. 2-3 years is still young enough for you to enjoy alot of years. As others have said, already being passed the teenage hormonal stage is a plus. I still think it's great to go visit them because I truly believe in gut feelings and if you have a pull towards a certain bun go with that! I have experienced both sides, buying a baby and adopting an older bun and they both have pros and cons and offer unique experiences.
Let us know how the visit goes next week and post pictures if you want. We love pics! :)

Definately will do! I love pics too haha :)

Latest posts

Back