Dutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionBunn

Reaction score
Hi, i was wanted some opinions on a dutch. My friend wants to adopt a dutch. He's already neutered. Thanks

I have a dutch, she's unspayed and like 7 months old. She's REALLY smart and really wild. haha. I think all rabbits are different and just depends on the rabbit, just like people; we can't all be rounded into one.
Anyway, my dutch is really smart. She learned how to work a toy in a few minutes. She learned how to trick my son into opening her enclosure. She learned how to open her pellet bucket's lid. She's pretty sneaky too.
She also chews on anything and everything, where as my first rabbit a mini lop, never chewed anything. BUT I can't say that all dutch rabbits chew on things because I've only ever had this one!
She's also really sweet and really funny to watch. She loves to be petted and loves nose rubs. My dutch is only 2 lbs and smaller than most, but she can jump just about anything. Mine is pretty brave, she gets a little skittish, but then comes out of the hole with her brave pants on and faces the cat or dog in the face! haha. She has such a great little personality, and SO much personality trapped in that little body of hers.
I really love my dutch and I'm sure your friend will love that dutch if they get it. Especially if he's already neutered and his hormones are gone. I bet he would be a really good rabbit!

I know all bunnies are different. Some are just naturally friendly others need work. Some chew anything and some don't. I was just curious what they're like being a small breed. Yours sounds likes lots of fun.. Ha ha. Thanks

We've had 2 Dutchies and both were great bunnies. We call Hutch the "binky king" as he will run around just going crazy any time you call his name. Very sweet boy and never bothers anything. He was a little "horny toad" till we got him neutered. Bonny was a very sweet little bunny and very friendly with me. I came home form the vet and found her on my front lawn--when I called her over--come here bunny-she came right to me and let me pick her up. She was fixated on me and used courting behavior even after neutering and was always making nests out of shredded newspaper. The only negative with her, is that I was the only person she liked. She tolerated other people unless I was in the room and then she turned into an attack rabbit similar to the one in Monty Python's movie. If I was in the bunny room and Nancy came in, she'd screech and attack Nancy's legs--only one of us thought it was funny. Personality is not so much a breed thing even though there are some inherent characteristics. We have a Checkered Giant and compared to other large breeds, they are very active--she's a 20 pounder but she doesn't lay around like a lump which is the description others have used with their big bunnies.

Thanks for the replies. It had me curious too so I found some info. They are the oldest domesticated breed. They came from holland. Overseas they're called Hollander rabbits. The most popular breed sold at Easter.
This little guy sounds cool so maybe she'll adopt him.

Dutch, in general, make pretty good pets. We had a Dutch for awhile because my daughter wanted to start showing rabbits. We found out later that even though she was showable, she wasn't what you'd call 'competitive' against others. She was very sweet, but when the hormones kicked in she decided she liked me and not my daughter.

My friend did adopt the dutch. This poor guy is home sick. I saw him yesterday. She said he eats but not much for the first few days. He eats kale and pellets but not much else. He must mss the previous owner. The dad took care of him most of the time. Thinking they were buddies. She lets hs door open but rarely comes out unless she gets him out. Seems like a good little guy though.

Latest posts

Back